Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why cant i select my video card?

• Please log in to reply

masadar

masadar

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well i bought FinalFantasy7 for pc along time ago and the computer i had at the time couldnt handle it so now that i have a new system and a brand new 9800pro i wanted to play it. So after i instaled the game and ran it the configuration wizard came up and said the video card selected was the primary display driver and that it couldnt handle 8bit texture shading or something so i tryed to change it to the new video card but it doesnt show the 9800 as being there. so i also tryed to just disable the onboard video and just use the 9800 but either 1. it cant be done on this computer or 2. i just dontknow how to do it so if anyone can help it would be awesome thanks !

P.S. i CAN and have used my new video card on other games and it runs fine.

Advertisements

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
What Drivers do you have for the 9800pro card ?

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Download the catalyst drivers Here and see if it helps

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hmm, right please list your full system specs, is this a new built computer or an upgraded one that is old or bought.

Do you have the latest drivers from ATI(from ATI.com and the .net framework(from MS site google it). Also you might want to try driver cleaner and get rid of anything that isnt the ATI catalyst drivers.

masadar

masadar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well ive got one question about drivercleaner do i delete everything in the list that doesnt have anything to do with my vid card or my soundcard? my soundcard being a creative. And my System is an AthlongXp +3000 512 mbram ATI AIW 9800 160 gighd and ive also tryed installed the newest catalyst drivers and it still wont let me select anything but my primary display adapter for the game. and its a store bought computer not an upgraded one.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just the gfx ones. Does that system have onboard gfx what is it S3 prosavage? I would check the bios and make sure you have the onboard gfx completely disabled its usually automatic but sometimes because it hasnt been fully disabled something will detect it and want to use it.