Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Blues

• Please log in to reply

Swanky_Mcfly

Swanky_Mcfly

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When i boot up the comuputer goes through everything fine, gets the usual beep and makes it all the way up to the windows home edition loading screen when the monitor switches into stand by or sleep mode or whatever. Nothing i do can wake it up. i've tried it with two different monitors and the exact same thing happens.

I can still open cd drives and it would apper that the computer works fine just the monitor wont work. Its a 4.6 Ghz (i think) with 512 MB RAM Nvidia Ge force sumthin 128MB.

I have recently been using it with the s-video output into our DVD player through a RCA video adaptor and it has been working fine it just wont work now with a monitor any help would be greatly GREATLY appreciated

:tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Can you hook the monitor and the S-video up at the same time and work in wondows like that, i think its probably just the card has set itself to recognise the TV as its primery monitor it should be changeable in the display settings , if you can get in display settings with both hooked in you should see the screen shows two boxes one with a one in it one with a two hopefully it should identify the TV as one monitor and the number will flash on screen when you identify it will come on when tested and show a two if what im thinking has happened has happened. You should be able to deselect the TV as the primary monitor and make the second the primary.

Hopefully that should fix it if not just come back and we can try some different things.

Swanky_Mcfly

Swanky_Mcfly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried connecting both at the same time but now the TV is having trouble displaying the S-Video it flashes on and off from the DVD players default blue screen to what looks like what should be on the monitor but there is no vertical stability.

i've tried playing with the V-hold on the tv but it doesnt help. Any ideas?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you tried connecting directly to the TV rather than through the DVD player.
Could you list the specs of the PC, if you know the model number you can look the specs up with whoever you bought it from.

Try opening up the PC and make sure it is in the slot correctly and isnt moving about. Also whats the wattage (and make if you know it or can see it on the unit) of the PSU.

It is s little bit of an odd problem but im sure we will get you going again.

Swanky_Mcfly

Swanky_Mcfly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Problem sorted :tazz:

i have no idea how the Picture through the TV returned to normal but i did, and by doing so i changed the monitor to the default and the TV to the Sencondary. I couldnt hook up the Svideo directly to the TV coz its an old, very old TV with only a coaxial connection.

Thanks for all your help.