Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP HELP PLEASE!

• Please log in to reply

tavikat

tavikat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I was working on getting a new version of NAV installed for a client (OS is XP with Service PAck 2). I may or may not have screwed the pooch as they say.

Old NAV needed to be uninstalled before i could unstall the new Norton Internet Security. Normal uninstall failed, so I ran through the registry, as I have done many many times before, and deleted all keys with NAV, NORTON or SYMANTEC in them.

This seemed to work, I removed the norton folders from Program manager and was able to begin the install of Norton Internet Security. Upon reboot the NIS screen popped up, asked me to click next and I was waiting for the request for the program key, but it never appeared. dicked around with this for a while, and finally uninstalled and reinstalled. Now it wont reinstall, or uninstall properly. If I try to reinstall, it says there is an unfinished uninstallation on the machine, please reboot. BS. When to Symantec site, downloaded thier uninstall programs, ran them all. still same issues.

I am now also not able to run java script from IE or active X (even when I click on IE HELP and ABOUT IE the verision information is blank, NO Online virus scans will work, I can get system restore to pop up in safe mode, but the window is totally blank.

I am afraid I deleted something important from the registry, but I've never had this issue before.

I even reinstalled Service Pack 2, thinking it would reinstall IE and fix the registry, but no go.

Last resort, I thought I would reinstall windows. Ran the DELL OS disk (not an image disk, just XP) and although earlier in the process it responded to the keyboard (responded to key stroke when asked if I wanted to run auto recovery) But at the screen that asked, install windows\repair or quit, it did not respond to any keyboard strokes (wireless keyboard being used) What the heck is going on?

I think its a virus, but i have no freakin clue right now and I am STRESSIN

Can anyone help me? :tazz: :) :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you want to try the windows repair...try it with a ps/2 or usb keyboard..not the wireless...
Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP
Repair XP

you could also try the system file checker
Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.