Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my computer won't start up

• Please log in to reply

trussler

trussler

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
:tazz: when i turn on my computer after about 20-30 seconds it switches off i have tried a new hard drive and a new power supply i don't know what to try next

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello trussler...

Take a look at the motherboard...next to the CPU you should see several capacitors (they look like little tin cans). Do any of them show signs of swelling or leaking?

Another thing that can cause this is the CPU itself. If the thermal compound between the cooler and CPU has broken down, the processor will rapidly overheat and shut down. If the processor is not damaged, this can usually be resolved by applying thermal paste.

Does your machine finish it's POST? (Do you hear a "beep or series of beeps"?)

wannabe1

trussler

trussler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
thank you for your reply when i turn it on it single beeps and then it is followed by a double beep

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
trussler...

Chances are the second series of beeps are indicating a problem with the video. Try entering the BIOS Setup and restoring the Setup Default settings (on many versions of BIOS this is done with the F5 key). Save your settings (usually F10) and exit BIOS. See if the machine will then boot.

wannabe1