Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloaded Firefox 1.5 - something is goofy

• Please log in to reply

becca77

becca77

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I upgraded to Firefox 1.5 from 1.0.7

Everything was great on 1.0.7

On 1.5 whenever I hit the tab key (example - for filling out web forms etc) a stupid box pops up that wants a link & target.

I went into Firefox safemode and it doesnt pop up when I hit tab (in safemode).

How can I fix this>

I have 22 extensions.

Do I have to get rid of them all one by one?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not a 1.5 thing so it must be one of your extensions, tell us what you have on it and then we can probably either find out which one to disable or get you started on testing the most likely ones.

Should be a simple job to test, find an online form, set it as your homepage. Then you just disable the extensions one by one until it stops doing the tab thing, then you just remove the one that does it or just leave it disabled.
Disabling is just done by right clicking and selecting disable on the extensions menu.

Easy as pie, you will have to restart firefox each time you disable an extension for it to come into effect before you test it.

So you dont have to uninstall them at all.

Edited by warriorscot, 08 December 2005 - 04:19 PM.

becca77

becca77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Should be a simple job to test, find an online form, set it as your homepage. Then you just disable the extensions one by one until it stops doing the tab thing, then you just remove the one that does it or just leave it disabled.
Disabling is just done by right clicking and selecting disable on the extensions menu.

Easy as pie, you will have to restart firefox each time you disable an extension for it to come into effect before you test it.

So you dont have to uninstall them at all.

What a good idea. I already uninstalled some of them, but I can get them back. I didn't know you could disable them.

How do you disable them?

Here are my extensions:
  • AdBlock
  • AllowClipboardHelper
  • Answers
  • BugMe Not
  • ChatZilla
  • CookieCuller
  • Extended Cookie Manager
  • Flashblock
  • googlebar
  • ImageShack right click
  • No script
  • Passive Cache
  • PDF Download
  • Ref Control
  • ShowIP
  • SwitchProxy
  • TalkBalk
  • TinyUrl Creator
  • MR Local tech
  • TamperData
  • Wikipedia
  • UserAgent Switcher

All my extensions :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hmm, well i can rule out adblock, showip, switchproxy,PDF download and talkback as well as noscript they wont do it and i have them. You just right click on the extensions when you view them on the extension menu and select disable from the drop down menu.

Ive had to go through the process myself, often when you use a key that its changed you can gain a clue as to what the extension is thats doing it but sometimes you cant which is annoying as the button seems to serve no purpose in that extension other than being an inconvenience.

It wont be any of the ones ive mentioned above, or at least it shouldnt be, i wouldnt ever reccomend you disable noscript at any time. So just start at the top and work your way down. Extensions are easy gotten again and often if you go to replace them you find a better plugin to use.