Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running Malware Apps on XP SP2 NTFS platform

• Please log in to reply

tab513

tab513

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am currently running a suite of malware apps that includes Spysweeper, PC-Cillin, SpywareGuard and WinPatrol on XP SP2 with NTFS. I switched to NTFS for additional security as each family member has their own "secure" account. Along with the four individual accounts there is the system generated "All Users".

My Qs: Should the malware apps be run under my account (as Sys Admin) or All Users account? I am thinking that if I run these apps under my account (and logoff) the PC will be unprotected if a family member then logs on. Right?

Assuming I run these apps under All Users then the icons will show up in each account startup tray, right? Therefore causing an internal security exposure (kids going where they ought not to go).

In addition, wouldn't multiple simultaneous logons then waste CPU because each account is running a separate instance of the apps?

Hope I captured the issue. Thanks.

TAB

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Most applications are installed with administrator accounts only so that they protect the PC rather than the individual accounts

The firewall will only run one instance, and will run whenever the PC connects, regardless of whether the administrator is logged on or not

Likewise with the Antivirus and any antispyware programmes

When you are logged in with a limited account, you should be unable to make changes to the way these operate