Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clean system Setup

• Please log in to reply

jd3450

jd3450

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
You originally helped me clean my system back in the Nov 04 timeframe. I was doing a good job of keeping it clean until I ran HighJackThis. I compared my new scan to my clean scan I saved from Nov 04. I noticed two entries at the bottom of the scan will I select to be delete (yes, I never should have done that so I don't know what I'm doing). Well, I ended up hosing the PC and needed to take to a place to have them reinstall Windows 98. I had them back up my old hard drive so I have my old data. But now I have new problems.

1. I wanted to run HighJackThis and post the scan for review. However, I download it and when I try to open it I get the msg MSVBVM60.DLL missing. So I cannot run the scan.
What I have done is loaded the Adaware and Spybot software and ran them. I haven't yet loaded Mozilla and I cannot remember what Java JVM link to go to and download, I believe, a new JVM version.

How do I fix the HighjackThis problem so I can create a scan to post?

2. This question doesn't fit here but since I had to reload Win98 I lost all my favorites and my Outlook Express address book. I check the backup file but cannot find anything. If the hard drive was backed up, shouldn't this information be somewhere where I can import it into IE and Outlook Express. HELP...wife had a ton of email address.

Advertisements

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
You probably had the visual basic runtime libraries already on your system before (they get installed a lot of times with other programs), but since it's a fresh install of win 98, you'll need to get them again... HiJack This requires them to run

can get them here
http://www.spywarein.../downloads.html

follow the link toward the top of the page where it talks about the Visual Basic 6 runtime libraries (it'll link you directly to the files on microsoft's website)

HiJack This tries to keep the basic download as small as possible, so they don't include the runtime libraries in the downloaded zip file

jd3450

jd3450

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I was able to locate the old email address information. Haven't had time to look for saveed emails.

I was able to run HighJackthis and here is the results. I also want to note that although I installed adaware, I did not remember how to do the custom settings.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 10:23:03 PM, on 2/2/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATI2EVXX.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATIPTAXX.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\SCANJET\PRECISIONSCANPRO\HPLAMP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\OSA.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\FINDFAST.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\OLD-HD\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WINZIP32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] Atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Lamp] C:\SCANJET\PrecisionScanPro\HPLamp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLAB] ati2evxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [ACMWrapperV2.dll] c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CDEngine\ACMWrapperV2.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [MediaPlayerV2.dll] c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CDEngine\MediaPlayerV2.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [driversV2.dll] c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CDEngine\driversV2.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Cdbootable.dll] c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CreatorAPI\Cdbootable.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [cdDataPS.dll] c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CreatorAPI\cdDataPS.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [cdExtra.dll] c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CreatorAPI\cdExtra.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [cdmp3.dll] c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CreatorAPI\cdmp3.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [database.dll] c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CreatorAPI\database.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [ISO9660.dll] c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CreatorAPI\ISO9660.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Joliet.dll] c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CreatorAPI\Joliet.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Udf.dll] c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CreatorAPI\Udf.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [creator.dll] c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CreatorAPI\creator.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Translator.dll] c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CreatorAPI\Translator.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [CDEngine.dll] c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CDEngine\CDEngine.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [WMC_RebootCheck] C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /FixUps
O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE

jd3450

jd3450

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Can you please review this log and let me know if it is clean? Also, when you helped me prior to my latest problem, you had me customize Adaware and had me download a java site. Can you explain that again. Or, if I could locate my old posting, it's all in there but it appears to have been deleted. :tazz: