Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Corrupt Hive Blue Screen Massacre

• Please log in to reply

strode84

strode84

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

I'm not very good with computers and have found this problem diagnosed on other stes but Im afraid I need kids terms to be able to get my head around it. When I try to start up my computer there is a screen saying something about a corrupt hive and system32/config/software which is corrupt and it is beginning a dump of physical memory.

I cant even get it to start in safe mode. I read that you need to do something with your windows xp setup cd but my problem is that Im studying abroad and I dont have it with me. Is there any way I could download it or fix my problem without using it?

I am concerned my files may be at risk but as am poor student cant afford someone to fix it

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that one's gonna be pretty hard to fix without the cd...is there a chance that you can get the cd mailed to you?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi strode84...

It sounds like a Repair Installation of XP would be your best option, but I'd sure like to have a little more information on your system first. Is this an OEM machine (ie: HP, Compaq, Dell)? If so, what make and model. Do you have a friend you might borrow a retail version XP CD from...this would come in handy for restoring damaged or corrupt system files.

One thing you might try in the meantime is to try to boot into the last known good configuration by tapping the F8 key during the boot sequence and choosing that option from the Safe Mode Options Screen.

When this completes, post back with how it is running.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 09 December 2005 - 02:01 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to do wannabe's instructions..you may need to boot into safemode with command prompt....if that even works

strode84

strode84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thats what I was just going to post - that it is impossible to even do that - my computer is a toshiba EA60-191 - i will ask around for anyone with the xp cd as it seems obvious I will not be able to do anything without it - thank you for your help

strode84

strode84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have tried to do this and have got so far to the copying of the system files but the problem hasnt gone away as when I have gone to copy the config/software file it claims not to be able to find it.

This is the file which keeps cropping up on the blue screen as being corrupt or absent - can you help any further?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you can get your hands on a cd, you could run a System File Check to replace the corrupt or missing file or even do the Repair I mentioned earlier. You really need a source to get the files from...that being an installation cd.

You might try replacing the Hive, but that can be a bit tricky. Instructions for doing that can be found HERE.

wannabe1

strode84

strode84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have managed to get a copy of the cd and did start the repair installation thing but I couldnt copy the software file as it claimed that it couldnt find it. How could I overcome this problem?

Thank you for your help

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
As wannabe1 already recommended, if the laptop didn't come with XP already installed (OEM), this is your best bet:
http://support.micro...id=1173&sid=156

It looks horrible, but really isn't so bad, and I've used it successfully a few times. If it's an OEM installation you'll probably require some special software like ERD Commander.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
strode84...

Boot with the XP installation cd and enter the Recovery Console.

Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press "ENTER".

At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe...press "ENTER". This will (hopefully) start the System Restore feature in Windows and allow you to restore the machine to an earlier time. Go back far enough to be sure it was before the problem began.

If this is not successful, we'll try other options.

wannabe1

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sorry wannabe1, didn't see you viewing the topic. :tazz:

strode84

strode84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am going to go back home to my computer later and I will try this new idea - thank you so much for your help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Sorry wannabe1, didn't see you viewing the topic. blushing.gif

No problem, admin...I have a feeling that replacing the Hive may be what we end up doing, but thought we'd try the Restore first. I like to do the hive replacement with a batch file to lessen the chances of syntax errors.... :tazz:

wannabe1

strode84

strode84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi, I am just about to leave the computer in school and go home to try the restore command. i did also try the last good configuration in the F8 menu before and that didn't work. I was just wondering if this also doesn't work what would the next step be? I have a ton of work i need to do and am keen to get it sorted as soon as possible. So am unable to get to a computer tomorrow so just wondered if you could give me the next step now, just in case. If I reinstalled XP from the boot cd would this destroy all my files?

Thank you for your help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A complete reinstall will not have a good effect either on your system or your data and I would not recommend it if you need the files on your machine.

The next step would be to replace the Hive. It's going to give you a bit of a jolt when it completes as your machine will be as it was the day you bought it. Normally, before doing this procedure, I would have you back up the current registry and set a restore point. Because that is impossible in your machine's current state...I'll try to prepare you for what's going to happen.

You will have to reinstall all the updates and any programs you have installed on the machine since you purchased it. Your data will remain intact, but without the programs to access it, you'll have to either copy it and access it with another machine or reinstall the programs that created the files. UNLESS the system restore will function after the procedure (which it very well might). Once the hive has been replaced, and the machine starts...try the system restore to a point before the problem began.

Enter Recovery Console as suggested in my previous post...

You will have to type the following at the command prompt, pressing "Enter" after each line:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

When this completes, type exit to quit Recovery Console and restart your computer.

To use the batch file:

Download the attached file and copy it to a floppy diskette

Enter Recovery Console as suggested in my previous post, but at the command prompt, instead of typing the command for the System Restore, type batch regcopy1.txt and press "Enter" (you may have to point the machine to the file by adding a:\ to the beginning of the command)

When this completes, type exit to quit Recovery Console and restart your computer.

Good luck...I hope the restore procedure in my previous post works so you don't have to do this... :tazz:

wannabe1

Attached Files