Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Restarting Randomly After New Motherboard Install

• Please log in to reply

jamaica man

jamaica man

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok i just ordered a new mother board because my old one was acting really funny (usb ports went out and it froze up everyonce in a while he hd lights would glow when this happend so i assumed it was a hdd prob)

ok i bought the GA-8IG1000MK and just installed it and booted it up and as always the first time is never a charm :woot: so i made sure everything was seated right and the whole time i was wearing anti-static wrist band so that shouldnt have been a problem. so then i rebot it and it boots up fine and starts loading windows then all of a sudden screen black and restart then it restarted during "detecting IDE" and just restarted over and over there which really ticked me off. so i check the ram and remove one and it boots up normaly and then same thing it restarts in windows and sometimes during the "welcome to windows" it even rebooted while i was browseing the bios! i think my new mobo is "prefried" :/ by the way i reseated all my ram and tried to run it with each of them out and different orders i made sure my G-card was seated correctly..my sound card... wireless card. checked power plugins from psu. rearranged my plugs to different hardware. REALLY weird :) and a few times it didnt restarted for like 10 mins so i decided to try a game and se what happend so i played UT2004 for like 5 mins then it restarted then the next time it let me browse the comp i tried Lineage 2 and it restarted
Oya im running kingston HyperX 2 512 peices and it only shows them to be 256 each that also ticks me off :)
My CPU runs at about 30-35C when im looking in bios so it dosent look like over heating

My computer specs.
Motherboard GA-8IG1000MK
CPU P4 2.66 ghz 533 FSB
Graphics card ATI radeon 9600 XT
Memory DDR 500MHz (PC4000) KHX4000/512
Also im running 2 256 peices of ddr Im not sure where they came from lol and they are cheap but they seam to work and they never gave me problems it still shows my Hyperx to be 256's even w/o them in so i dont think they have much to do with it and it also restartes with or without them installed.
Sound card Sound Blasted Live 5.1 Digital
Hard Drives WD(master) dont know model bu its 80 Gigs and a Seagate Barrucuda (slave) dont know model either 160 gigs
Cd Drives i got a memorex cd burner and a lite on DVD player
ive changed the ide wires out also
thats about all the info i have at this moment i would be greatful for any help :/

~Jamaica man :tazz:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have had a few gigabyte mb's. They can be very picky on what ram you are running. I am surprised that it will even run on PC4000 memory when it is limited to PC 3200 memory. Find some PC 3200 memory and try it. You may have to check in the bios for the memory setting and adjust them for your memory as the setting may be off trying to run memory faster than the bios should run.

SRX660

jamaica man

jamaica man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i just ripped that [bleep] board out im so sick and tired of it im probably going to send it back and my old board man the usb dosent work on it for some reason i hate this [bleep] lol

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well its not the boards fault if you run incompatible ram on it. Whats wrong with the USB on the other board in particular. Its probably fixable or its a driver issue in windows.

jamaica man

jamaica man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i ran compatible ram and incompatible it had the same results with both you should see the package it came in it was ripped and crushed i looked over the boared and it looked ok so i took my chances and something is wrong with it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
See when that happens to stuff i get and it is damaged i dont even accept the package i just send it straight back, because it most certainly didnt leave the stores depot like that and im not paying to have my expensive computer hardware to arrive bashed. Because when you sign for it you sign to say it has arrived and is in good condition, never accept damaged goods if you get them its not your responsibilty to sign for them and they will have to pay for it to get sent again.

Edited by warriorscot, 10 December 2005 - 02:03 PM.