Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Registry Corruption

• Please log in to reply

Marshall212

Marshall212

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,
I have lately corrected a problem with a Sony program(F4IRootkit--as it is called) that effectively neutralized my CD ROM drives, which a Malware Forum staff member and I corrected---returning control of the CD ROM drives and correcting Internet issues--potential threats as a result of the Sony program. I do however notice that my computer is slower in response time (not dinosaur-era slow, but slower nonetheless), and that there are seemingly more and more encounters with errors and sudden freezing for a reasons that I can't understand. Even when I enact Control-Alt.-Delete to get the Task Manager to see what is not responsing, there is no response. And I often encounter problems with programs or files on the desktop not responsing, which when I choose to end unresponsive operation with the Task Manager, the entire screen changes. The changes I speak of are: all the icons on the desktop disappear, and the Task Bar is also gone----the desktop background remains the same. There is response to the Con.-Alt.-Delete, with the Task Manager popping up, but thats the only response. The only other seemingly slow characteristic I can think of at the moment is that it takes forever to get the computer to restart or shutdown. The Malware Forum staff member was of great help to me and he told me my PC was free of Malware---which I free confident with his conclusion. I don't know if anything I described has anything to do with registry corruption or to do with the Hardware...forum. I've only had this computer(XP) for only five monthes, and that I haven't had these problems until lately. If this is in fact the usual characteristics of registry corruption, I believe by the described details I may also have a Windows 2000 registry corruption, but this point I just want help to correct my XP computer----I can get to correcting Windows2000 later. Any help anyone can give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :tazz:

Marshall

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello Marshall,

Let's collect some information and look for problems, shall we?

Download Speed Fan at the following link:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

After installing it, start the program. You should see voltages at the bottom, fan speeds towards the middle on the left-hand side, and temperatures on the right-hand side. Make a note of all values for those sections and post a reply with that info.

Here's how you can see if your computer is having errors:

Click on Start, Run, type eventvwr in the text box and then press Enter. Click on Application and see if there are any exlamation marks or red X's at the time when your computer had an error or froze. If there is an exlamaton mark or X next to an item, double-click on that entry and copy the description of the error. Do the same thing for the System section and post any results in your reply to me.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 09 December 2005 - 08:09 PM.

Marshall212

Marshall212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hello computerwiz12890,

I successfully downloaded SpeedFan, however when I openned it, I couldn't see the voltage and fan speeds. I did see the temperature--35C and CPU usage. Under the SMART tab, the fitness and performance was at 100%---just to let you know. When I went to check for System and Application errors, I did find a good many of those. The first many errors had this description: Error: Source--System, Virus scanner--POP3 unable to connect to port monitor. The next error was described as: Error--Hanging application Spybot SD. exe, version 1.4.0.3 hang module hung app. Version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0X00000. The next few errors were described as: Error: application NMain.exe, version ....... There was however a good many "Warnings" under the Application tab; described as--"Warning: Windows saved user D7N971\Preferred Customer registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when its no longer in use. Now, the System tab had this error a few times---"Error: The \Device\CdRom, has a bad block---I think this was related to the Sony program aka F4IRootkit, which will disable the CDROM Drives when it is attempted to be deleted. That I believe was corrected because the CDROM drives are working fine. There was also multiple errors described as: DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode" attempting to start the service Event System with arguments "" in order to run the server" I don't know if what I described had any usefulness to it, but this is basically what I saw. I hope this is helpful in helping you tell me what is wrong with my computer if there is even a problem with my XP computer. Also when I downloaded the SpeedFan program, I also got a Initdebug icon pop up on the desktop---just to let you know. Thanks
Marshall

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It seems that Spybot and Norton are giving you problems. Uninstall both of them, and install Avast! as your anti-virus. Let me know if you continue to experience problems.

Someone told me of a program that could collect more info for me, so I will check it out as soon as possible. If you still have problems, I will make instructions for you on how to use the program so I can get more info about your computer.