Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

comp will not boot

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
My computer will not boot. I get the following error message :

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\Windows\System32\Config\System

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

How can i resolve this issue ? I've already tried chkdsk /r from the repair screen after booting from the Windows CD-ROM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
System file check is more likely to replace the file, see if you can boot the PC, keep tapping F8 until you get options, select safe mode with a command prompt, type sfc /scanonce then press enter, type Y to confirm, press enter then reboot

If not,

You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

If not

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
That did not work cause it does not detect any currently installed OS so im guessing it has got corrupted pretty bad. Is there any other way of repairing the operating system ?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi manu08!

Check out this SITE for how to recovery from a corrupted registry.

Fenor

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Yeah I managed to do step one but was unable to complete cause I could not boot into Safe mode. Anyway I figured a reinstall of XP would be easier so I tried doing that & well it formatted the disk & after that copied the system files but when it came to the installation of the OS I got a blue screen with an error message with the following technical informaton :

*** STOP :0X0000008E (0XC000001D, 0XBF812098, 0XF7606C1C, 0X00000000)

*** win32k.sys - Addres BF812098 base at BF800000, DateStamp 3d6de5e5

Any clue how to solve it ?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When you reinstalled Windows, did you do use NTFS (Quick) or NTFS? If you used quick, then I suggest you redo the installation and use NTFS, because using quick doesn't get rid of everything as completely as using normal NTFS.

Fenor

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As you have formatted the drive, you could also use the hard drive maufacturer's set up utility to write zeros to the drive, use the full option, not quick, this will do a much better job of preparing the drive, however, when Windows wants to format during installation, use default NTFS, not quick