Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trojan.alemod

• Please log in to reply

BRANDYFAY

BRANDYFAY

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have been infected with trojan.alemod. Norton tells me that it is in this one file and it cannot fix or repair. I called Symantec and they said that if i delete this file internet explorer would no longer work. I can't do a system restore because while trying to solve this problem I've deleted my restores. If I use firefox then do I even need internet explorer? :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello BRANDYFAY...welcome to G2G!

Internet Explorer is very tightly integrated into Windows and eliminating it or having it damaged can cause other problems with the system.

I would suggest that you Get this Microsoft download of IE6 SP1...save it to disk to install later.

Then...Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

Once you have a clean bill of health from the malware expert, install the downloaded Internet Explorer. If you are still having problems after that, post back to this thread... :tazz:

wannabe1

BRANDYFAY

BRANDYFAY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I went to the "start here" and did everything on the list...or at least I tried. I downloaded service pak 1 but when I try to open it, it won't open. It tells me to check and make sure I'm connected to the internet. I am connected. I tried this twice. Now what? :tazz:

Any help greatly appreciated!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
BRANDYFAY...

Did you post an HJT log in the malware forum? I'd really like one of the experts there have a look at what's in there before we go too much further. Save installing the IE SP1 until the malware folks give your machine a clean bill of heath.

wannabe1

BRANDYFAY

BRANDYFAY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I posted to the malware forum last night...responses all around but none to mine. Last night Norton came on and quarantined the virus (for about the 8th time) and I rebooted as always...this time after I restarted I am getting lots of ".exe" not found when the computer comes up and when I try to open programs like quicken and i tunes it does nothing. I've got a backup of most everything I need except itunes and since I can't open the program I don't know what to do. I've found the files in explorer. Do you know if I copy them to a disk from there if I'll be able to restore them later? :tazz: One of these smilies should have tears!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
BRANDYFAY...

Can you do a System Restore to a couple days ago? See if that will get things opening again.

Be patient with the Malware Folks...they're really busy in there and someone will help you with your log within a day or two...

wannabe1

BRANDYFAY

BRANDYFAY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I tried a system restore twice and it doesn't work. I'll wait another day (three day rule) for the malware folks. If I don't hear back from them can you walk me through reloading from my reinstallation cd? I've got basically all the info I need off of my pc.

Thanks for all the help so far. This is an awesome service.