Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DIFF IP ON A ROUTER?

• Please log in to reply

tennisboy

tennisboy

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
i heard there was a way to change the ip for different computers connecting to a router, so each computer will have a different ip from the others, how do u do this?

thnxs in advance guys =)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is where you need to go.

Get to Network Properties through the Control Panel. Right-Click on it -> Properties. Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Properties.

What you change here is only to connect to the router; it won't change your Internet connection details, IP or whatever; those are handled by the router.

Edited by Neil Jones, 11 December 2005 - 06:20 AM.

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Most routers use DHCP which will assign each computer an IP address on

the network. Normally beinging with 192.168.x.x or you can manually specify a certain range again, like 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255

By default, most routers will assign systems on the network in

sequential order. Thus, keeping the IP scheme simple, or you

can manually assign different IP addesses to the network through the

routers GUI.

DHCP Server
The DI-XXX+ can be setup as a DHCP Server to distribute IP

addresses to the LAN network.
DHCP Server Enabled Disabled
Starting IP Address 192 . 168 . 0 .
Ending IP Address 192 . 168 . 0 .
(SPECIFY) Lease Time

Then with some configuration of this,

Firewall Rules
Firewall Rules can be used to allow or deny traffic from passing

through the DI-XXX

Then you can specify, IP Range, Start IP Range, End Protocol, and Port

Range.

IPFILTERS
MAC FILTERS
URL BLOCKING
DOMAIN BLOCKING
NAT
DMZ

Systems behind the router should be pretty well protected if configured properly. Hope this helps,

Edited by Irongeek, 12 December 2005 - 08:49 AM.

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
^ i am sooo confused on what u just posted lol, the reason i wanna change my ip is for counter-strike source, some servers don't allow ghosting when u have the same ip address. My brother and i play on the same server but when one of us dies the screen goes black until the other dies =(

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

^ i am sooo confused on what u just posted lol, the reason i wanna change my ip is for counter-strike source, some servers don't allow ghosting when u have the same ip address. My brother and i play on the same server but when one of us dies the screen goes black until the other dies =(

Changing the router settings in this instance will make no difference at all because the server is looking at your Internet IP address, not your internal (router) IP address.

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
o... aite thnxs guys for the help

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Changing the router settings in this instance will make no difference at all because the server is looking at your Internet IP address, not your internal (router) IP address.

Exactly.

If you want to 'spoof' your internet IP address then use a proxy server. If connected properly it will detect proxy server IP address instead of your IP address. To check yourself go to www.ipchicken.com and see what IP address it detects either yours Leased to you by your ISP or the proxy server. :tazz: :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this thread looks like it's run it's course...but i want to make sure that everyone seeing this knows that we at geeks to go WILL NOT assist you in obfuscating a ban (either on IRC or a game server or anywhere else where you could be banned from using a service) nor will we assist you in breaking the rules of these services (if the server says you can't ghost...then we wont help you ghost)