Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keep freezing.. or REALLY SLOW..

• Please log in to reply

jjun212

jjun212

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I don't know what's wrong..

Tonight, I turned on my computer and it started just fine.. ran just fine..

Until 2-3 minutes and the red hard drive light would just shine really bright and my computer would freeze..
I could still move my mouse but it was just frozen..., I tried to CTRL ALT DLT, but nothing came up..

I have no clue why this is happening
And I tried restarting and turning off my computer like 20x..

I'm writing this on Safe Mode..

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi jjum212!

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Fenor

jjun212

jjun212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hey fenor~~

thanks, it helped but..

i have this popup at my startup that says it cant start up "csrss.exe" and something about registry?

well.. i googled csrss and turns out its a virus? or a worm?
my avg anti virus and scanners didnt pick it up.. so i dont know what to do

the only thing left of csrss is in my system32 folder
as i searched for anything that said csrss and deleted it

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
csrss.exe is the main executable for the Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem. This process manages most graphical commands in Windows. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated

Deleting everything to do with csrss.exe was not a good idea. What I suggest you do is put in your XP CD, clicking EXIT to close the window that appears after it is autorun by the computer. Then go to START-->RUN and type sfc /scannow, noting the space between sfc and /scannow. This will check all of your windows operating system files and fix any that are corrupt/missing. Once the blue bar goes away reboot your computer.

Note: csrss.exe is also process which is registered as the W32.Netsky.AB@mm worm, w32.sober worm, the W32.Webus Trojan, Win32.Ladex.a, W32.Rontokbro.K@mm and more. This virus is distributed via the Internet through e-mail and comes in the form of an e-mail message, in the hopes that you open it’s hostile attachment. The worm has it’s own SMTP engine which means it gathers E-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself. In worst cases this worm can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

Given the above information, once your computer is rebooted, go to the Malware Forum and post a HiJackThis log in THAT forum to let an expert take a look at it and make sure there isn't anything nasty left lurking around in your computer.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then return to this thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem.

Fenor