Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

network gaming

• Please log in to reply

callum1984

callum1984

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: Hi,
i have two computer connected via network cards and a crossover cable. Now i am able to see and access files from one computer on the other one. We can even share internet. But when i go to play any games via "ipx connection for directplay" there just aren't any open games. It seems like it doesn't recognize the prescence of the other computer when it comes to network gaming, but does when it comes to file and internet sharing. Microsoft is of the opinion nothing is wrong with the connection, that it must be the games. The game tech support say its something wrong with the connection, because the connection either works or it doesn't. Seems no one knows what the problem is. Both computers are running xp. Any help would be appreciated.

Callum

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi callum1984!

Just curious, but do you have the option of selecting Lan when choosing the type of multiplayer game type you want to play? If you do, I would suggest trying to use that instead.

Another thing I would try is going into the Control Panel and double-clicking Windows Firewall. Click on the Exceptions tab and see if the game is listed under Programs and Services. If it isn't, then select Add Program and select the game from the list that appears, or select Browse if the game isn't listed and find the exe file for that game and add it.

If that still doesn't work, then you might want to invest in a router and have both computers connect to that instead of using the crossover cable. ICS can be buggy at times and therefore I never recommend someone use it.

Fenor