Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinFixer2005

• Please log in to reply

geekstogofan

geekstogofan

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I thought I'd post a quick note regarding some success I had in ridding my machine of WinFixer. Earlier in September this year I had this annoying malware on my home computer (Dell 8400); then I came here and got some excellent technical assistance and was able to get it removed.

But just today the damned WinFixer2005 came back somehow! I already own Ad-Aware SE and have kept it updated and running all the time, but for all the good it does, it didn't seem to help prevent this insidious WinFixer thing.

Then today as I was reading through the instructions before getting ready to post another HJT log, I came across a product from PC Tools called Spyware Doctor (SD). I decided to run a Full Scan of both AA and SD. AA came back and said my system was clean. SD however, found WinFixer immediately in a local temp directory, as well as in a registry setting...amazing! I then registered their product and cleaned my system; my machine is now running beautifully this evening. Gotta say I'm very impressed! :tazz: Any I'm not one who normally pitches a product.

Hopefully this discovery helps other non-techie home users who may be looking for something that actually works, and includes some great real-time protection tools to protect against a variety of other malicious things I probably don't fully understand. Their interface is similar to their other product I bought last year called Registry Mechanic...another helpful tool to keep the registry lean and clean. Anyway, good luck. mj

Advertisements