Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did this hard drive just fail? HELP!

• Please log in to reply

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
What i had setup was an AMS Venus Enclosure, with a 250GB Seagate. worked great for about 4 months, but I was curious to see what temperature it was running at, among all the other specs that you can't see on an external drive. so i shut everything down, hooked it up to the secondary IDE checked to make sure all jumpers were correct, etc.

the computer wouldn't recognize either drive (primary with windows, nor the 250GB Seagate.) I once again checked all jumpers, cords, switch them around on the IDE strip, booted up, and BIOS still wouldn't detect either of them. i took out the ex external drive, and computer booted up fine no problems.

so then, inside windows, I connected the drive via the external enclosure like I usually do, and nothing happened! I switched the jumper to all possible configurations, still nothing. rebooted windows, still nothing. I tried other drives inside the enclosure, worked perfectly.

what could be wrong? the drive has never made any abnormal sounds such as clicking or anything else usually related to a bad drive. when the drive is powered on, i can hear it spin up as normal, and sound normal and everything it just won't get detected by any means.

It's in the freezer right now. What could be the problem?

Edited by MNOB07, 11 December 2005 - 10:30 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. This is a classic example of Murphy's Law at work, and it got you. Have you ever had a second hd installed on the existing EIDE ribbon cable? The one time that this happened to me, I had installed a second hd in my new computer set to slave and the computer would not boot at all. I removed the slave drive and it worked fine. I changed the EIDE ribbon cable and repeated the install. It worked. This is why I asked, has any hd ever worked in that computer as a slave on this cable. As for the hd now not working in the usb enclosure, hard to say. It could be that this traumatic experience caused it to die. These devices are sensitive to static electricity. Ususally the hd insde of a usb enclosure is set to master with no slave present. If you verified the settings it does not work, and other hard drives do work in the enclosure, it is not the enclosure that is the problem. It is the hd. If you could get it inside a case as a slave drive, set your bios to auto detect the hd maybe you could run the manufacturer's diagnostics on it.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
This computer was actually built with two hardrives in it, and I'm certain that the EIDE cable is in working correctly including the connector for a slave, as i have a slave drive connected and streaming music off of it as I type.

I have correctly set the jumpers, I've tried manually master+ slave, and cable select. both produce the same results - an undetected drive. other harddrives work in the enclosure

I can't imagine what could have happened inbetween taking it out of the enclosure, and connecting it inside, but something happened (Murphy's law for sure) and it's definately the drive that has failed. I already have Seagate sending me what I need to return it :tazz: