Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

question on 2 vid cards

• Please log in to reply

rov

rov

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
right now im looking between:

nvidia 7800 GTX 256mb by asus
and the same thing by evga
both PCI-e

whats the diff between the 2 cards?

my mobo will be asus, would the brand compatibality be worth a little extra?
evga could save me about 100$, but im just wondering why the same card is cheaper

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Differences in the bundles, maufacturing costs, little things like that maybe one has a more expensive HSF and then there is the fact that some companies are prepared to make less profit in order to sell more cards.

Read some reviews on both cards you should find out what the difference in price is worth, i would think it is really only the bundle that is making the differences some companies give you the cables and the drivers maybe some cheap trial software, some bigger companies will give you several games(usually ok but rarely top 10 titles although sometimes you are lucky) and a few peices of full software, usually some kind of DVD playing software form cyberlink and maybe an overclocking tool.

Then somecards come pre overclocked this costs extra, Evga and Asus both have very good reputations in gfx cards, Asus do tend to be expensive and i wouldnt think it would be worth a 100 more as Evga have a good name in the states from what ive gathered.

rov

rov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
k thanks for the help
:tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The reason the asus is more is because it has a more expensive cooler and fan. It has a Arctic Cooler 5 fan for cooling the gpu. The asus version also has a higher core clock speed and memory clock than all the other 7800 gtx's with 256 mb.

That is why the price is different from the evga.

Evga makes good stuff so you cant go wrong with evga.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I've heard less problems video card wise with eVga.

eVga makes better cards than Asus usually. THis could probably be explained by the fact that ASUS is more into motherboards, while I do not think eVga even makes them...

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Evga now carries some motherboards. They have one socket 754 pin amd board with nforce3 and 2 socket 939 boards with nforce4 with standard or sli ready.

http://www.evga.com/...=133-K8-NF41-AX

They make really good stuff. I have a video card from them.