Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Testing Network Cables

• Please log in to reply

I love my vans

I love my vans

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hello all

I have just started making my own network cables, is there a way of testing them? Obviously i know plug it in to a computer and a router etc and see if it works, but is there a level of quality that i need to achive speed wise, or is it pretty much it either works or it dont?

Cheers
ILMV

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can get a cable tester from the local computer supply shop....usually the quickest way to test them....though...as long as the ends match (all the colors are in the same order) then they will work...(and..e.ven then...there are only really 4 pairs of those wires that really get used..so...in theory...you could have one or two pairs wrong...and have it still work)..

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Hello all

I have just started making my own network cables, is there a way of testing them? Obviously i know plug it in to a computer and a router etc and see if it works, but is there a level of quality that i need to achive speed wise, or is it pretty much it either works or it dont?

As stated, you need a cable tester. From what I hear 'rumors' you can either blow it up make the equipment (unstable), and mess up the CAT5 cable, crossover cable you just made by wiring it incorrectly. Making CAT5 cable,Crossover cables etc... are pretty simple to do. I do sub contracting IT work you would be surprised how many these you actually do make. Crossover cables that is. Best part it's 'A lot cheaper'.

For wiring diagrams (if needed) go here:

(How to Make a RJ45 Cable Tester)
http://www.southwest...r/rj45/rj45.htm

http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.asp

http://www.google.co...Make CAT5 +RJ45

Hope this helps, Irongeek

Edited by Irongeek, 12 December 2005 - 11:29 AM.

kabonickj

kabonickj

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Depending on what kind of cable it is, it could show up differently on a cable tester. I made cables for my Cisco networking class and crossovers have 2 pairs taht are switched. I believe our tester was of teh Fluke brand, check sites like:

www.cdw.com

www.newegg.com

Hope this helps, kabonickj

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
fluke makes a great cable tester...i've used their stuff alot....most modern digital cable testers will tell you if it's a crossover or not...if you've got a loose wire...length of the cable (which is great for finding breaks in a wire...i know this cable is supposed to be 200 feet...on this end it says that it's 100 feet long...and on the other side...it says it's 50 feet long....looks like it's broken at the 100 foot...and 50 foot mark respectively)