Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

34 min point

• Please log in to reply

tigger634

tigger634

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Help please. I am trying to load Win XP (SP2) onto a computer, and it crashes at the 34 mins point every time.

Any ides please.
:tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tigger634...

When you formatted the HDD, did you use the Quick Format option or do a Full Format?

wannabe1

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I'd also be checking for hardware problems if you can. IE. Bad RAM for example. If you can, unplug any unnecessary devices during install and try to eliminate what's causing the problem. Also, you could have bad sector on the hard drive at just that point (and the full format could bring that to light mentioned above)

tigger634

tigger634

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks guys.

Wanabe:
The computer was running Win98. during the install to XP the format was carried out as part of this. Thus deleting 98. I have since tried to format again using the Win 98 disk, not sure if it did quick or long format. Xp install still crashes at 34 min point.

Gen:
Just added some extra RAM, got a 128 and 256 stick in it now. At firs switch on, comp shows all the RAM in start up.

Am thinking of trying to install 98 fully, then go for XP install. Good idea ??

Tiggs

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try taking out the 128MB stick or RAM and put the 256MB stick in the first slot. Unhook any hardware you don't need such as the sound card (if not using onboard), printers, and any USB devices.

Format the drive using the XP installation CD making sure to delete all partitions on the drive and using the full format option. Thet let windows install and see how it goes.

Is this XP CD an OEM or a Retail version?

wannabe1

tigger634

tigger634

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks. I'll give that a go. But, which is the first slot ??

OEM or Retail [u]

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The first slot should be marked as either 1 or 0 depending on the motherboard manufacturer.

If this is an OEM cd, is it the one designed for use with your machine? If it's not, it may be trying to install drivers (chipset, video, sound) that are not on the machine and may be the source of the hanging installation.

wannabe1

tigger634

tigger634

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
errrrrr maybe neither :tazz:

But I'll give it all a go. Thanks. Probably tomorrow before I get back to you.

Tiggs

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
tigger634, this isn't a pirated copy of XP, is it? If it is I would suggest that you install the legal copy of Win98 and forget about trying to install the XP...it ain't gonna work and we can't help you make it work... :tazz:

wannabe1

tigger634

tigger634

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No, Not at all. LOL.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...If it is an OEM version, do you know what machine it's for? If you bought it online, you might provide me with a link and I'll see if I can figure it out.

Go ahead and try the instructions I gave you a couple of posts ago and see if the OS will install.

wannabe1

tigger634

tigger634

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Wannabe1,

Thank you thank you. Complete sucess with the installation. :woot:

BUT. :)

Somewhere along the line I have lost 8GB from my hard drive !!! After the sucessful install, I went to do a Defrag. It showed that the hard drive was only 2GB, with only 340+ MB spare. I know it was ok before I started this.

Any clues ?? :tazz:

Hard drive is a Fujitsu MPC3102AT Pt number CA01675-B661000E and should be 10.24GB

:)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
tigger634...

Let's see if you have installed Windows more than once on the machine...

Go to Control Panel and double click "System". Under the "Advanced" tab...in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click the "Settings" button. In the "System Startup" section, click on the dropdown menu for "Default Operating System". Is there more than one entry there?

wannabe1

tigger634

tigger634

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK. I'm not going to get on with this fault till Sunday or Monday as the computer is at my parents.

So if it does have more than one version of windows, where do I go from there to delete it/them?

Reformat and start again ?

Tiggs

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No...you won't have to format and start again (hopefully)...there are ways to remove "extra" installations. I'd also like you to look at the partitions on the HDD.

Right click "My Computer" and choose "Manage". In the left pane, expand (click +) "Storage" and click on "Disk Management". Post me a screen shot of the resulting window.

wannabe1