Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 PCI-only Cards on Sale. Which to Choose?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 9 posts
PCI-only Question!

This week CompUSA is having a sale on the second two PCI-only video cards (i say this for the sake of those who might be out shopping).

MY QUESTION: Regardless of price --- which of these cards is the BETTER one for my needs?

My needs: I'm doing Graphic Art (hobbyist-level, not professional) and would like my system to do better, specifically for my Wacom Graphire3, which works perfect in AdobePhotoShop5.5, but slows down (gets jagged-y lined) in PhotoShop7. My current low-end 3.6ghz Compaq only has an "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 with 128MB shared video memory".

I want smoother lines. Which of these is best?

Radeon 9250 256 DDR --------------- Radeon 9250 256 --------------- GeForce FX 5500 256 DDR
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
$100 (regular) ----------------------------- $40 (orig $80) --------------------------- $60 (originally $100)

Which one would be the best for graphic art (as an improvement over my GMA900)?
Whats the difference between the two Radeons?! ??
Is the GeForce 5500 or the first Radeon 9250 better??

Thanks! I am ignorant about these cards, and dont know how best to choose. I would REALLY like my digital art using my Wacom set to improve. I also hope to improve my overall graphics in general.

I dont care about the price -- as long as its around $100 or less. I want to know which one is the BEST for my needs. Thanks! =)

Loading!

Edited by Loading, 13 December 2005 - 12:50 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Get the 5500 its the best, good find those are rare cards these days alot of demand for it(its the fastest PCI card you can get) but they only make the fx5200 now and skip all the middle FX series cards. 9250 i would say is slightly faster than the FX5200 but the FX5500 is faster than the 9250.