Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply

Absorb

Absorb

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I connect wirelessly at work (I work at the library) Everything was just fine yesterday. I was online finding out how to fix my control panel (turned out I had a corrupted .cpl file) Then I was in my system32 folder double clicking all my .com files (because some don't seem to want to open.) all of a sudden the next day I try to connect at work and my wireless light (that lets me know its searching) stays on but the little monitor icons on the bottom right have this red X.

heres info from ipconfig /all

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Compaq15
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : kippny.com
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-9D-90-68-9D

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-3A-81-BA

I'm not sure what other information is needed.

I don't understand why this information says media disconnected if everything worked just fine before.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello Absorb,
I'm not sure if you're still looking for help, but anyway:
In your case, the Media Disconnected message is most likely due to corrupted/missing Windows files. The fact that you were tampering with key windows components suggests that you might have accidently deleted/changed an important file.

Please goto Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK' - now type: sfc /scannow (Note: You will need your Windows CD handy to repair any missing / damaged files).

If you need further help, let me know.

Edited by Dan G, 25 December 2005 - 09:20 PM.

Absorb

Absorb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
yea im a bit scared to do that scannnow command because i cant find my winXP cd. so I'll wait until i find it or find some other way.

I'm on vacation now, but I'll have to speak to someone from my school to see if i can get the CD.

Edited by Absorb, 27 December 2005 - 03:57 PM.