Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Setup For Newbie

• Please log in to reply

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi Guys
wanting to setup a wireless network in my home and really am confused with all the computer jargon.
I have been reading in the forums and wondered could someone advise me on the proper hardware I need to to connect,and if my system is compatilable,i know i need a router,but which kind.
Had a look at a "Linksy WRT54GS" and that seems to be able to cover everything,though i am only going on the recommendations of what i have read in the forums.
I have just bought a new LAPTOP and am almost certain it is set up for wireless but then who am i,just a Newbie.
Would really appreciate any help as i am trying to get this set up for Xmas,you guessed,it's a Xmas pressie.

Sorry,i forgot to mention that i connect to the internet through "BT Broadband Speedtouch 330 ADSL Modem USB.

My Desktop.

System:XP Pro SP2
AMD Sempron Processor 2800+
Ver:x86 Family 15 Model 44 Stepping 2
Speed:1607MHz
80G HD
512 MB RAM
Network Card:WAN (PPP/SLIP)Interface

Laptop:Toshiba Satellite Pro L10
Windows XP Pro
Pentium M Centrino
1,6GHz
512MB DDR SDRAM
40GB HDr
Wireless Network 802.11b/g

Seamey>T

Edited by Seamey. T, 13 December 2005 - 02:01 PM.

Advertisements