Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP 'add/remove program' problem.

• Please log in to reply

Blitz3169

Blitz3169

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay.. so I have two games.. that I previously had installed, but had long since removed them. Recently purchased a bigger hard drive and went to reinstall my games. Was going flawlessly until I reached the end. Two games in particular (Neverwinter Nights and Indiana Jones and the Emperor's tomb) .. are listed on the 'add/remove' . .as installed games. Even though I know I uninstalled both properly.

So basically windows thinks they are installed and therefore wont let me install them nor uninstall them because the uninstall files just aint there to uninstall the games.

Now I tried to tinker with the registry and remove all the entries associated with those games.. found one for each game. Yet when I removed them, rebooted.. and tried. Same thing happened. And they are still listed.

So am I so screwed that I need to format? Because I really dont want to have to format for just two games. Or is there a program or some trick to removing those things from the windows list and 'hidden' registry entries?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

(on windows XP Pro with Service pack 2)

Advertisements

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Did you try:
Changing the directory path while installing?
Booting in safe mode and checking if the folders are still there?

I encounter the same problem you have, buy it usually goes away after re-installing and uninstalling.
I beleive it occurs when you delete the game by the folder, instead of using the "Add or Remove Programs" process.

Edited by Aslyfox, 13 December 2005 - 04:41 PM.

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
with a similar problem, I was referred to www.eldergreek.com

Blitz3169

Blitz3169

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No I cannot 'install' either game at all because the autoplay/set-up on both of the games tries to uninstall the game before reinstalling and since the games are simply not there.. it will not allow uninstalling or installing either way.

I havent tried going into safe mode and trying to install.. so I may try that.

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Click "My Computer"
Insert one game Cd
Right click it
Select Explore
Find the Install.exe file
Run it.

Blitz3169

Blitz3169

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Tried that as well, it simply wont let me uninstall or install. I Mean there has got to be a way to remove it from the installed program list.

I have searched my computer for folders related to the games in question. No hint of them.

I am stumped. :tazz: