Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop temperature

• Please log in to reply

nutzbuthot

nutzbuthot

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
i see that the cause for many of the laptop battery life problems are related to overheating.
so my questions are, what is the optimal temperature for the computer. I downloaded something called speed fan and the temperature is currently 48C and whateve HD0 is it is at 52C
how do i make sure that it is temperature stays low and what is classified as overheating.
should i take my computer apart and clean the fan?
please help, again, it's finals time and i need my lappy to work.
thank you!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your temps are within range for most systems (the first one is a cpu temp..the second one is your hard drive temp)....the best way to make sure the computer stays within range is to keep it clean...make sure to clean the dust out as often as possible (usually once a month)...you can also get a laptop cooler...which is basically a box with fans that you set your laptop ontop of..

nutzbuthot

nutzbuthot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
so it is the overheating that causes the computer to shut down on it's own?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe...you didn't say anything about it shutting down in your original post...

what happens when it shuts down? does it restart or shutdown? are any of the fans still running when it shuts down or is it all the way off?
is there any pattern to the shutdown? (always at 5 minutes...only when i open photoshop...etc...)

nutzbuthot

nutzbuthot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
oopsie your right :tazz:
so yeah, my computer will only stay on for approx. 5 minutes if it is not plugged into the power cord, and even then sometimes it will start to hibernate. At times when it's shutting down i will see a blue screen stop message but it will shut down too fast for me to read it. the battery is not the problem, and i don't know what else it could be.

Colinr

Colinr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Power Saving Settings??

nutzbuthot

nutzbuthot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
how do i check that?
also, at times, it won't register that it's charging when it is. or the light will be on that it's charging but the battery icon on my tool bar will still say that it's not charging or start to die

Colinr

Colinr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
You get to the power saving settings through the control panel or the screensaver tab on display properties.

No charging lights could mean a faulty motherboard or battery though.

How old is the laptop?

nutzbuthot

nutzbuthot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
it's about a year and a half old.
i don't think it has to do with the battery though, my dad switched my hard drive in to his computer shell (we have the same laptop) because it was finals and i needed to use it although it the problem continued on his comp
what exactly do you need from the power options properties menu. i'm sorry, i'm a dunce when it comes to this stuff

Colinr

Colinr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Right click somewhere on a blank desktop
select properties
click the screen saver tab
click the "POWER" button
change all the times to something longer under the battery settings. Apply before closing.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your power cord may have gone bad...check and see if there are any breaks in it...or kinks..trry using your dad's power calbe and see if it shows up as charging...

In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

the next time it has one of those blue screens that you couldn't see...it shoud stay up

nutzbuthot

nutzbuthot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
k, so it's not my power cord, and it's not the power settings.
i did get a chance to read the blue screen though...
it said STOP0x0000000A
disable bios memory options, chaching or shadowing.
i have no idea what any of this means or how i'm supposed to do it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you need to boot into bios...by restarting your machine and repeatedly pressing either del or f2...usually del...as soon as the machine starts to startup...that will get you into bios...now you need to look for those settings that the error message mentioned