Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spy Sweeper slowing down internet?

• Please log in to reply

Astrid

Astrid

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have Avast, AVG, Microsoft AntiSpyware and Webroot SpySweeper. Lately my internet is running really slow. I shut down all the above and tried running them by themselves and the internet sped up considerably except when I ran Webroot SpySweeper. When I run SpySweeper by itself or in comination with the other programs, it slows everything down. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and has any suggestions to fix this.
Thanks!!!

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Running more than one anti-virus program at the same time (AVG and Avast) could cause confilcts and slow your system down. I suggest getting rid of one of them (I recommend getting rid of AVG). See if things speed up after getting rid of one of these programs.

I'm not that familiar with SpySweeper, so I'll download a trial version of it and check it out. Let me know everything is still slow after removing one of the anti-virus programs.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 14 December 2005 - 12:20 PM.

argosy

argosy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have spent some hours trying to find the answer to a similar slow down problem, including searches for malware, viruses etc. Finally pinned problem down to Spy Sweeper running in system tray-switched off & now ok. I run Hitman Pro regularly - it autoruns a suite of anti spy/malware apps-but Spy Sweeper was the only app I leave running for online protection, apart from Spybot Tea-timer. It looks like you have a similar problem. If I find a way running SSw without interference, I will post

MikeQ

MikeQ

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have spysweeper on my system and have noticed a really bad slow down with my internet. It takes several seconds to load up my email client or IE. I imagine it is checking traffic on those ports looking for spyware. In defense of Spysweeper I do think it's a very good program and have noticed that most all Firewalls will slow down the internet ports. If anyone knows one that doesn't let me know.