Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repeated Rebootings

• Please log in to reply

Bradford

Bradford

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've been on here before with the problem of my computer constantly rebooting. I originally had Radeon 9200 graphics card in the computer and swapped it out for a Nvidia GeForce 5900 card. Due to power supply issues, I went back to the Radeon processor but was having problems removing the Nvidia driver. I was referred to the Driver Cleaner program to remove the Nvidia driver, and have updated the ATI driver for the card I'm using now. After all of this though, I'm not getting continuous reboots which say Windows has recovered from a critical error. I have Windows XP, and this is the message I'm getting about the problem:

STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
STOP: 0x100000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M

CAUSE
This issue may occur if the display driver is caught in an infinite loop while it waits for the video hardware to become idle. This issue typically indicates a problem with the video hardware or that the display driver cannot program the hardware correctly.

At this point, I have no other ideas on how to fix this problem, but it is getting rather annoying.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It could be the card is not seated properly