Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor screen and graphics card problem

• Please log in to reply

GORADIO

GORADIO

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My laptop's screen is broken, and shows nothing but a white screen. It's a hardware problem, I think it was dropped or something. Either way, I've plugged it into a second monitor so I can still see stuff, but the way the software for my Intel 82845G graphics chip works then I can't set it to run with the second monitor in any way other than with the graphics card's settings (Alt-F4 won't work), through the desktop context menu. Problem is, I can't *see* the context menu... If I start Windows up in safe mode it uses the basic drivers and just automatically outputs to the second monitor but I can't do half of what I need to do in safe mode. Any ideas? Or does anyone have the same chipset and could tell me what buttons to invisibly press?

thanks,

nathan smith

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
In a toshiba laptop i had i needed to change the setting in display setting in control panel to be able to use a desktop monitor. It was a setting that told the computer to use both displays but use the second display when it was plugged in.

SRX660

GORADIO

GORADIO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
well that would be fine, I was imagining there would be a setting on mine but safe mode doesn't let me get to the Intel Graphics settings, and I'm blind otherwise. :tazz:

Edited by GORADIO, 14 December 2005 - 05:21 AM.