Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

looking to buy a modem

• Please log in to reply

wllm55

wllm55

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I want to get my friend a faster modem for his computer. His system is a Dell 8400
Specifics:
1 C3826 PROCESSOR, 80547, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, Pentium 4 Prescott DT, 3.2GHZ, 1 MEGB, 800FSB, SKT-T

2 F6660 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 512, 400M, 64X64, 8, 240, 1RX8
1 X2749 MODEM, V.92, DATA FAX, INTERNAL, DONNY, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION (Intel 537E, V.9x. PCI, Modem)

1 P5288 CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, 128, X300, SERVER ENHANCED, MRMGA8, 2
1 U4001 HARD DRIVE, 160GB, Serial ATA, 8MB, 7.2K, WD-XL80

Does anyone have a recommendation as to what brand and model I should get? The problem now is a very slow connection. I took my laptop to his house, and I hooked up to the same phone cable, same walljack, same ISP and everything and connected at almost twice his speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. If you are referring to dial up modems, I believe the current v.92 modem which claims 56 dial up connection speeds is as fast as you can get. In reality, actual connection speed is dependent on numerous factors, and rarely is 56K actually achieved. On occasion, I have to use dial up when my cable modem is down. My v.92 gets between 44k to 52k speeds. There are a multitude of v.92 modems out there and I suspect one is as good as the other. I believe the one I have is a U.S. Robotics.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
56k is the fastest modem, BUT speed can be affected by whether it is a winmodem or is a real hardware modem. Winmodems take processor time in order to work as they are partially a software modem and I have seen them connect at slower speeds. Also, quality can have an effect on the connect speed. Personally I like US Robotics, but there are also other good companies out there.

wllm55

wllm55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for the replies, I have talked to several other people, and US Robotics seems to be the number one choice. Also, my friend's (brother in law) connection speed is usually around 30kbps, I did some tweaks with CableNut and gain some speed but others that I have talked to said replace the Modem.This sounds like a good ideal considering that when I took my laptop to his house and went online, I hooked up at 50.6kpbs using the same phone cord, wall jack, ISP and speed test and his old 'puter hooked up in the 45kpbs range. Thanks again for the input. Newt