Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd-writer/dvd drive will not write or read discs

• Please log in to reply

jayjay23

jayjay23

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
microsoft win xp (home) v.2002 service pack 2

ARTEC WRR-52Z (DVD/CD-ROM DRIVE)

my cd/writer will not function properly at all.

if i try to write a disc i am told there is no disk in the drive - please insert a disk.

when i try to play a disc of any type the device will not read it. the light comes on briefly and goes off again repeatedly and I can hear the disc trying to spin and then stopping and then trying again, repeatedly.

i have not got a clue what to do.

i have checked device manager and the device is working properly etc and until recently the cd drive had been working fine with all discs both for writing and for reading.

i have uninstalled and reinstalled it using device manager and i have tried to find as much info as possible including reading posts on this forum.

What is firmware and am i likely to need it and will it solve my problem??

Is it likely that i will need a new device altogether or just that it needs cleaning somehow inside?

Advertisements

fillbach

fillbach

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i have the same problem
i have one question for you.
have you used itunes recentely.
I have a dell labtop and this problem started so i went too dell support and under forums some of the users have been having similar problems and most have been using Itunes.

honestibs

honestibs

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i'm having the same problem as you guys...well very similar

I can play dvds that I burnt and whatnot but I can't play dvd movies. My dvd drive will not even read it. Its set on the correct region too. but it still won't work. Anybody have some clues as to what's going on

please email me if you do

thanks

jayjay23

jayjay23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
i have still not had any luck in finding out the problem. can somebody on here who knws something please advise us all.

thank you

sr71000

sr71000

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hmmm...for it to be that wide spread...that's odd. Have you all run windows updates lately? Maybe you could have updated the driver through windows updates and the update caused something to fail. Either that or maybe ms releases a fix for their high-mat cd writing technology that is messing with the software. I can't remember what they've released recently. Our best bet is to figure out what are some of the last things you guys did before your drives stopped working. There's most likely some common factor here for you all to have the same problem. I'm wondering if anyone updates their software right before...let me know if I'm on to something!

jayjay23

jayjay23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
well, i dont think i really did anythiing before it stopped working.

can you tell me, is it possible that my cd reader/writer is just faulty, and if it is how do i check and how do i know. what can i do about it?

do i need to take it for repair? replace it myself or just have the lens cleaned??

is it possible for it to be a software issue? do cd drives actually need updating??? how and why??? and how do you know?

when i put a cd in the drive it just spins and stops and spins and stops and doesnt play and the pc doesnt know it is there. im sure this is a prob with the actual device.

jayjay23

jayjay23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
if anyone else has this problem... this is what i did!!

i took the computer apart and removed the cd drive... took some screws out and blew inside it to remove some dust and did a bit of wiping with a cotton bud.

put it all back together and now it works!!!

well done me!