Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winlogon error on startup

• Please log in to reply

wheres

wheres

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK so I downloaded the Autopatcher 2005 program and tweaked alot of settings, one of which was te startup logon. Now when I start up my computer I get several errors about winlogon.exe . It wants me to click OK to close the program, cancel to debug. If i hit OK then my computer reboots. If i hit cancel it opens Microsoft Visual Studio. Now I can close all of them except one, and the messages Visual Studio gives me is following

Unhandled exception in winlogon.exe (MSUPDATE32.dll): 0xc00000005: access violation.

I can hit OK, if i close Visual Studio my computer turns off. I cannot used Control - Alt- Delete because that doesnt seem to be working, only way i can get to task manager is if i press ctrl alt delete before the errors come up. another problem is that my computer doesnt respond to any command to turn off, i have to hit the power button, this makes it impossible to roll back using the windows recovery tool

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

wheres

wheres

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yes i can get into safe mode and i recovered back to a week ago to the day i reinstalled XP. The error comes up now in a different box with just a close button, and i can click on for more information about this error, click here. so i did just that

Error signature
szAppName : winlogon.exe szAppVer : 0.0.0.0 szModName : unknown
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000

To view technincal information about the error report, click here.

The following files will be included in this error report:
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\ErrorRep\UserDumps\winlogon.exe.20051215-153255-00.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Nathan\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

ok and then another box pops up and says 'The system has recovered from a serious error. so i view more information about the error.

Error signature
BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : F8921F8F BCP3 : EE4B18D4
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 768_1

ok so then i view technincal information about the error... that says

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini121405-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Nathan\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER3.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

however i am happy to say i can now ctrl alt delete AND it respons to shutdown commands.

Edited by wheres, 15 December 2005 - 01:23 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Start your computer in safe mode. Do a search for winlogon.exe. Please include the location(s) and size(s) of the winlogon.exe file. I want to determine if it has been altered or infected.

Do you have an XP CD, incase we'll have to do a Windows repair?

BTW, you did undo the changes you made with Autopatcher, right?

Edited by computerwiz12890, 15 December 2005 - 02:41 PM.