Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

burn Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

driver57

driver57

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a Compaq Presario that came with Windows XP on it when it was new. It has been running slow and now it won’t boot up at all. If I try to boot in safe mode it loads drivers and stops. I would like to format and reload XP but the new computers do not come with XP disk. Can I burn one from the hard drive (I can put it in another computer as a slave) if so how?
Thank You

Advertisements

driver57

driver57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK I have been looking on the Internet and I think what I need is to make a recovery cd. I found the recovery folder now what?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
When you purchased your computer, did it come with any software at all?

OEM manufactures sometimes include a hidden partition on the hard drive of the machine in lieu of providing a recovery disc. Perhaps your machine has the hidden partition. This partition will recover your machine like it just left the factory. This means... any user data, and user installed programs will be totally wiped. If you care about your data, I would back it up before attempting any OEM recovery.

Is this a laptop, or desktop computer. It would help if you list your specs.

driver57

driver57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It is my son’s Compaq Presario SR1103WM. When it was new it did come with a utility program to make a recovery disk but he did not make one. There’s no important data on it so he just wants it formatted and reinstall windows. I know how to do that if I had a windows XP disk. Using his hard drive as a slave in another computer I found the recovery file. In it is desktop.ini, folder.htt, procted.ed and warning.bmp. If I try to open the folder.htt or procted.ed it will ask open with. Can I make a recovery disk?
Sorry Yes when it was new from Walmart it was preloaded with windows XP and all the other software that is on them
Thank you

Edited by driver57, 15 December 2005 - 05:24 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Do you still have the software that came with the computer? I guess I have to assume you don't or you would have already attempted making the disc.

I did a little research on the Compaq site specific to your model number and came up with THIS

The webpage tells you how to go about making a recovery CD, or how to order one. Even if you do make the recovery CD, you should probably order one from Compaq... reason being that Compaq's recovery CD may be more reliable than what you pull off your machine.

BTW, here is Compaq's MAIN PAGE for your computer model.

Please let us know how it goes and/or if you have any problems.

Edited by makai, 16 December 2005 - 04:12 AM.

driver57

driver57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, ALL the software is on the hard drive but the hard drive will NOT boot so I put it in another computer as a slave. When it was new, a screen popped up and asked if we wanted to burn a recovery cd, well, we did not make one. I was hoping it was not to late.

driver57

driver57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK. NEW QUESTION

Can I use another Windows XP home disk with his product number? :tazz:

Is there a way to find the product number? A reminder from earlier post, this is now a slave drive on a computer running Windows 98. :)

If I need to buy a restore disk I assume I will still need the product number or will I need to buy a new Windows XP disk? :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Can I use another Windows XP home disk with his product number?

No, that won't work. Anyways, it's illegal.

Is there a way to find the product number? A reminder from earlier post, this is now a slave drive on a computer running Windows 98

No, there is no way I know of to retrieve a product code from the slave drive. The product information is in the registry and it's inaccessible unless you have booted from it.

If I need to buy a restore disk I assume I will still need the product number or will I need to buy a new Windows XP disk?

OEM computers normally don't require you to enter a product number when doing a recovery because the recovery disk is system specific and is not really a Windows disk... well, actually it is a Windows disk, but the OEM has altered it to fit your system. Opting to buy a "real" XP disc is not a bad idea, but first I would contact Compaq and see if you can work out a deal to get the recovery disc for free... or at least at a discounted price. If you hound the Compaq rep enough, he might just send it to you.

driver57

driver57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Let me rephrase the first question :P
Can I use another Windows XP home cd to load the software but use the product number from the computer I am trying to fix? This would be a legal number, :tazz:
But the software ???? :)
I guess this is all irrelevant if I cannot find the product number. :)

THANK YOU for your help.
I will order the restore disk :woot:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Let me rephrase the first question biggrin.gif
Can I use another Windows XP home cd to load the software but use the product number from the computer I am trying to fix? This would be a legal number, thumbsup.gif

Yes and no. Yes, you could do this if the OS was initially installed off of a "real" XP Home disc. And... NO, because a "real" XP Home disc is not the same as Compaq's OEM disc so the product serial number you have will not work.

THANK YOU for your help.
I will order the restore disk cool.gif

You're welcome! Yes, I think ordering the recovery disk is your best option. Don't forget that all user data will probably be wiped once you run the recovery. Back up eveything before you start... including your IE favorties folder.

driver57

driver57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Now I am just curious. What is the difference between a computer that came with Windows XP
(Compaq OEM) and a “real Windows XP” :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The difference is that OEM manufactures like Compaq, Dell, Toshiba... or whoevers, build machines in bulk, install the same audio card, vid card, etc. They don't want to have to install drivers and such for each machine configuration, so what they do is basically "slip stream" a copy of the "real" WinXp OS, with drivers, or any other stuff like that. Even the Startup logo you might see when an OEM computer is booted up is a part of the package. They basically alter the WinXP OS installation disk to their needs. Also, because they have a bulk license which is already registered, the end user, never needs to register Windows when they first use the computer. Most of the time, the Windows product code you see on any OEM machine will not match the product code actually used to install the OEM Windows software.

In my signature is a link to Aida32. Among other useful things, Aida32 will allow you to read the license number on your computer used during the install. You will most likely see that what Aida32 displays is not the same number as on your WinXp license/asset tag.

Edited by makai, 17 December 2005 - 07:43 PM.

wvachris

wvachris

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Now, There is a lot of mis info on this site,, starting with, this:

When you buy a computer, you also buy the lic and Lic cd code to windows XP,
The CD code is on the back of the computer,, somewhere on the authorization cirtificate..
and yes you can use any copy of win xp if desired,, so if you have a copy of win xp you can use it,, as long as it is not a copy of win xp upgrade, cause that will not work,,

I do this with my own computer, and activate it and have no problems.. so yes find your product cd code on back of computre dude,

Chris Kersey

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The problems in your computer could be caused by malware. If it is installed as a slave on another computer (the one with win 98) you can run malware scans on this disk (antivirus, antispyware) and clean it. take it back to the original computer and give it a try. If it works it will save you the formatting problem.