Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Upgrade in Etower 433i

• Please log in to reply

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
:tazz: I have a quick question. I am presently upgrading an E-machines Etower 433i system. I am doing it little by little and decided to start with memory since I am leaving the original MB and CPU in the computer. My question is, can regular 3.3V Unbuffered PC100 SDRAM be installed in the computer without any problems. All of the places that I go to get compatible RAM say that the computer is only compatible with PC66. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me. Thanks all. :)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for system memory

Click DMI on left then click memory controller on right

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Unfortunately, the computer that I am upgrading does not have internet access at the moment where it is, it do not have it her ewith me. But, I would like to thank you for the program you suggested, it will come in very handy later on. I found something intersting though that I would like to ask you about. I ran it on my desktop and it says PC3200 RAM in the summary, is that the RAM that it is compatible with or is that what it is picking up in the system?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
PC 3200 is the installed memory speed so you would add more of the same speed, according the the number of slots and the maximum module size

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok, thank you, that is really interesting though because the specs of my MB say that it can only run 1600 and 2100 speed, I guess that is just a conservative thing they do or something. Although, I know what RAM chip I installed, and I know that it is PC2100 not 3200. Is it possible that Everest is reading it wrong or is it trustworthy enough for me to install another 3200 chip?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Everest should have it right, however, check with the motherboard site

You can put a higher speed stick in but the chipset may limit the speed it runs at, so 3200 being more expensive would be a waste if wont run at 3200

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok, thank you very much for all your help. This has been very enlightening. If I had known that when I went to upgrading my computer, I would have saved some money. I bought a stick of 3200 RAM first, then my friend told me that the MB only supported 2100 or 1600, so I bought a stick of 2100, which actually cost me more than the 3200 did. Thank you very much though. This also puts my worries of the memory that i ordered for the etower 433i not being compatible. I know that it matches the specs for voltage and configuration, so it should work regardless. Thanks alot though, Iwill definately be hanging around this site more often.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The 3200 will be held back by the 2100

Good luck with it

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Yeah, I know, and thanks for the warning, but I figure that since it is already here, and I have already paid for it, I may as well use it. OH well, regardless, the two sticks of unbuffered PC100 that I bought for the Etower should work I Guess. I will find out this weekend when I go to upgrade the system. Thanks again for your help and your quick responses.

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hey, just a quick update. I installed the two new sticks in the E-tower and they worked fine and the performance of the computer has increased greatly from what it was. It has gone from 32MB of RAM to 256MB so it is running much faster and much better now. Also, I installed that stick of PC3200 in my personal computer and it is running better as well. Thanks for all your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for the update