Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supplies

• Please log in to reply

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I have this power supply

http://www.tigerdire...74745&CatId=106

Unfortunately only has a 20 pin connector. Will a 24 pin converter do the job or is there too much loss of power.

System Specs

AMD Athlon 64 3500 socket 939
EVGA Sli mobo
7800 Gt
2 Gb of Corsair Dual channel XMS
250 GB SATA hD
Dvd RW

I dont plan to overclock so there wont be extra power comsumption but i read some systems wont work without the real 24 pin connector. Do i need a new PSU is min just fine.

Edited by anoobrew, 15 December 2005 - 12:12 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No with 20 pin connecters the PSU is the same its just they split the 24pin connector, basically so all you need is one of the many adapters.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
20 Pin/24 Pin PS Connector
15th Dec 2005

The Power Supply is sufficient for the newer Motherboards – Below are some links that you can look thru - It includes your link to your Supply & Power supplies in general – Also there is a link for Mfg of your motherboard – I did not have exact Motherboard Model to do full research –

About the 24 pin connector – I do not think that the reason for its use is because of – [Voltage Loss] – as much as it is for better – [Wattage/Heat Distribution] – The Molex Connector is not rated high enough to have the +12 Volt Power Pins contained in the 20 pin connector – it must be split/divided into an additional set of pins –

Of course – Less [Voltage Line Drop] would be less – but the main factor is the [Heat/Wattage] must be distributed as well – The Molex Connector will [Burn] if [Wattage Rating] is exceeded - This is the main reason for the additional – [4 Pins] –

The new Video Cards require more Power & most MFG still want the Power to be supplied by the Motherboard – Some have an additional – [4 Pin] Molex Connector – to parallel Video Power – to help distribute Power & reducing [Line Loss] but also increase [Wattage Rating] of the connectors –

So Power Supply can handle the – [Power Surge] - & Cable can handle – [Voltage Drop] – BUT I would be worried about the – [Wattage Rating] – of the – [20 Pin Connector] Point of Distribution – to the [24 Pin Connector] – You can decrease the [Line Loss] by increasing – [Wire Size] – but the – [PIN HOUSING] – Rating is – being [Exceeded] –

In upgrading a PC – there are many – [Engineering Specifications] – that need to be addressed – Usually the Original PC Specifications are sufficient that [Minor Upgrades] – will be OK – but the [New PCs] are being built at the [Upper Specification Limits] – that – [Upgrades] – to these computers – need [Engineering Design] to [Integrate Safely] –

I do not – At this time have the – [Molex Connector] – Full Specifications on hand – but I know they cannot handle the full 34 amps – The Power Supply overrates the connector power rating -

The conclusion – I will leave that up to you – Read the following information – and follow new links -

Power Supply – Tiger Direct
http://www.tigerdire...74745&CatId=106

General Power Supply Info
http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_power.htm

Power Supply – Wattage Rating
http://compreviews.a...werSupplies.htm

Motherboard
http://www.motherboa...rds/1565_1.html

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 15 December 2005 - 02:20 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Wow, jack you are honestly the most scarily organised tech i have ever seen. Most people just buy an adpater and it works fine(although im saying that from experience rather than a scarily large detailed knowledge of PSUs(which i suppose i posses but phyiscs makes my head hurt these days).

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Will the 24 pin converter work if you have a 20 pin PS and there is a seperate 4 pin power connector. AKA, the Pentium power connectors?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It should i know that one of the other techs gave someone a link to buy them from newegg, the basics of it was they took the 24 pin cut off 4 pins and then slightly modified the output to be a bit more stable and stronger from what i know of it, i know a few people that just cut the extra bit off the 24 pin and got it to work but i wouldnt reccomend that. Im not going looking on newegg it takes minutes to load pages for me.