Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Added second hdd but cant see it in my computer

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
while i'm looking...can you do start > run > mmc

Advertisements

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
ok no hurry im a patient man. plus im going out for about an hour now, so i will see you when i get back, (Figured id let you know so you didnt think i crashed the system) :tazz:

Edited by fixit5561, 19 December 2005 - 08:33 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

No DOS command is going to recognize the NTFS partition..

You need to boot using the Win98 boot floppy.. Once you get to a:> prompt, type in fdisk and press <enter>

Now, your first task is to remove all partitions.. When you get to the options screen, choose "Remove all NON-DOS" partitions.. That will get rid of the NTFS partition..

Next, you want to use the option to remove the Primary DOS partition.. Once that is done, you will have a blank hdd..

Once you have this, come back and let me know exactly what operating system you want on this hdd !!

BTW.. have that drive jumpered and connected as the "Primary Master".. Totally disconnect the Win98 drive while you are doing this!!

Murray

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
ok i did everything and it looks like it worked!! Yipeeee!!!! But i couldnt leave the jumper on the pins,( to make it the master) i had to completely remove it ( the jumper)before it would be recognized and i was able to boot to fdisk. fwiw

I want to put windows 98 se on this slave drive, the same as what is on the master drive.
whats next?
Thanks
Brian

Edited by fixit5561, 19 December 2005 - 10:39 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. do you want to dual-boot this hdd?? If so, then leave it as the master drive.. Now, use the boot floppy again and go into fdisk once more.. Use the first option and set a Primary DOS partition.. Say YES to everything..

Once the Primary Partition has been set, you will need to reboot the system.. This time, when you get to a: prompt, type in format c: and press <enter>.. Let the hdd format..

Once formated, another boot (leave the floppy in).. Make sure you use the option to "Start with cd-rom support".. Once you get to a:> prompt this time, put your Win98SE cd into the cd-rom drive, change the prompt to the cd-rom drive and type in "setup" (no quotes) and let Windows do its thing..

After 98 has installed, reset the jumper to slave and attach your Primary hdd.. If you want to dual-boot, you will need to find and install a third party boot manager and install it to the c: drive..

Murray

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
what is a dual boot hdd? im pretty pc illerate. LOL

Is it better to use it as a dual boot? I would like to be able to take files from either hadd that i have and swap them between the two.

Thanks
Brian

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I would like to be able to take files from either hadd that i have and swap them between the two.

Thanks
Brian

Then all you need to do is format the secondary hdd using the boot floppy.. Once that is done, jumper it to slave and re-install your primary harddrive..

Murray

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
or so i dont need to load windows on the second HDD? just format it ?

Thanks
Brian

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Nope.. Just format it (make sure you say yes to all questions during the format procedure) !!

Murray

fixit5561

fixit5561

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Ok finished the format, and it is good to go.!! :tazz:

Thank you very much all of you that helped me on this. I would havce never figured it out. : }

You people here are AWESOME and i thank you very much for your help and guidance!

Thanks again and have a great holiday
Brian

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
congratulations :tazz:....

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Not a problem Brian... Glad we could help!! :tazz:

Murray

sr71000

sr71000

• Pip
  • 9 posts
just for future info. If you're ever in a situation like this and need to get files off an ntfs disk but only have 98, you can use a bootable linux disk like knoppix which can read ntfs (but not write yet) and read and write to fat32 partitions, so you can copy files from ntfs to fat32 before you're forced to reformat the ntfs partition.