Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resintall XP

• Please log in to reply

vlakarmis

vlakarmis

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, i hope someone can help me with this i have been trying my best but i cannot seem to figure it out.

I have a Ergo Ensis Laptop with dvd rom but no floppy drive. What i did was inser the windows Xp professional cd, rebooted and chose run setup from cd rom. After a couple of screens (agreement etc) i got to the partitions. I deleted my old partition which was basically wher i had all my files etc. I then chose new partition, when id o this all goes well it says formatting but when it reaches 7% it freezes and after half an hour says it couldnt continue. I even tried installing windows ME and it did the same and froze on 7%. The problem is now, it doesnt recognise my xp cd, only Millenium but i dont care i just want to start by installing a system, but i am stuck because i dont know why it freezes everytime it tries to format.
Sorry for the long message, if anyone has time please reply

p.s i think i made a mistake :tazz: instead of choosing start with cd rom support and then typing format C:, istraight away chose start setup from cd rom. I think i messed it up when i deleted my only partition and now it doesnt want to create a new one for XP or ME or anything. keeps freezing on 7% when making a fresh partition (formatting) :)

Please do not include an e-mail address in any post, in order to avoid unwanted contact

Edited by Keith, 16 December 2005 - 05:08 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the laptop and keep tapping the delete key (possibly F2) until it enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 to save and exit, type Y to confirm, put the XP CD in the drive then press enter, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

If it still holds at 7% then you can get the hard drive manufacturer's set up utility. If it has a write zeros to drive option, use its full version to wipe the drive then install XP. You will be able to download and save the set up utility to CDR with another PC then load it from there. It will load from the CDR as long as you have changed the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive

vlakarmis

vlakarmis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks sir.

I am trying to find out which hard disk i have and i found out two things from ERGO website. Apparently the Ensis model which i have has a Ultra DMA 9.5mm- removable hd and Enhanced IDE Ultra ATA DMA 100 Interface support - hd interface

So i searched through google and i downloaded this drive utility which says it supports IDE drives etc.

Im gonna put it on cd and try now here is the website igot it from

http://www.hitachigs...rt/download.htm

hope it works :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if ERGO will tell you the manufacturer

Use with Non-Hitachi /IBM Products
This tool is provided for use only with Legacy IBM ATA hard disk drives and new ATA drives
manufactured by Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, however some of the supported parameters of
other manufacturer hard disk drives e.g. drive capacity may be changed. Hitachi doesn’t support the use
of this tool to change any parameters on ATA drives not manufactured by Hitachi Global Storage
Technologies or by IBM and should a user choose to do this, it is done at their own risk.

vlakarmis

vlakarmis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok i just phoned them they said it is Toshiba 2.5 something something HD. I have to leave for work now, please tell me what i do now that i know manufacturer and what i do after i get the tool. Thanks alot for takinng time to help me. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have cable or any fast internet connection get either the basic or full version ISO Image file of UBCD because it has a number of drive wipers

http://ubcd.sourcefo...t/download.html

Whichever one you use, use its fullest (longest) option to get a better result

You will need Nero or similar to burn the file as an ISO Image file to a CDR, then you put this into the CD ROM Drive and boot the PC

vlakarmis

vlakarmis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I downloaded UBCD full version in a .zip file, but i dunno how to put it as an image. When i choose burn image etc , the zipped file appears to be an accepted format to be made into an image. Shall i create the image using the zipped file or unzip the files then make a cd with the files.?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Unzip it and there should only be one file

vlakarmis

vlakarmis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i made an iamge using the zipped file but apparently its an ISO file as well :tazz:
When i finnished making the iamge it opened a list of contents and documentation links for the UBCD program so i think it worked.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you boot the PC with the CDR you made in, it will only get as far as showing a light blue / green ( wish I could spell turquoise :tazz: ) screen with F1 F2 etc, you need F2 then use the right arrow key to get screen 5/5, use any of those to wipe the drive