Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Severe Registry Corruption

• Please log in to reply

Marshall212

Marshall212

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hello,
About six monthes ago, I was installing Norton Internet Security on my Windows2000 computer, but my brother got onto the Internet before the installation was complete---didn't before that time use my Windows 2000 computer for the Internet. I had literally hundreds of pop ups flying on the screen from [bleep] to selling used cars. After a horribly long wait for updates, the pop ups were stopped by Norton Internet Security. I now have a incredibly slow computer, which often freezes up and lately now the keyboard and mouse functions are going too. I ran a modem test, which sent up a "URGENT" window saying that the registry is extremely corrupted and that it recommended that I repair it quickly. Well, I had seemingly hundreds of these types of windows pop up saying that I had between 125 to 400 registry errors. Well I bought V-COM System Suite 6 (which I really don't think is a wonder program) to correct the errors. Of course I ran the updates to the suite and then ran the registry "cleaner" and "fixer"; and the "URGENT" windows quit popping up. I still however have corrupted files in the registry which the V-COM program can't correct; and now I'am starting to loose control of everything on the computer---can't get the updatest to work, typing keys on the keyboard and having a blank computer screen, it takes forever to shutdown the computer(1 hour or more), etc. :tazz: Microsoft Antispyware Beta1 and Norton Anti-Virus claim I have no spyware or virus issues to worry about; and the V-COM version of the anti-virus claims there are no virus to be found, so I think the problem is registry based. I would really appreciate anyone's help on what to do about this registry corruption problem; and is there a way to check the registry "health" of my XP computer? I hope that this is the right forum for this topic. Thanks

Marshall

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on both machines..put the os cd in the drive and do

start > run > sfc /scannow

this will check all of the system files and the registry

Marshall212

Marshall212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi dsenette,

I ran the sfc /scannow on both computers. The XP computer popped up a progress bar, which completed and did nothing else...I don't know if that is normal....but that is what is has done everytime I've done it before concerning sfc /scannow. The Windows2000 computer I tried without the W2000 Professional CD, but didn't work so let me find it and run it again with the CD. I'll get back to you as fast as I can. Thanks for the help.
Marshall