Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

outlook express help

• Please log in to reply

sweetnky

sweetnky

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello can anyone please help me with my outlook express? I run windows 98 I am not real sure what version of outlook express I have due to when it comes to computes I am pretty much lost. Any how the problem I am having is all my messages are coming to my inbox as bulk mail. Under the little exclamation point is a little blue arrow pointing down. I can no longer recieve any messages from a mobile phone. I think all my other messages are coming in ok but like I said they are all marked bulk mail. Can anyone please help me???? Thank you

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello sweetnky...

Let me gather a little information from you about your machine.

What Antivirus do you use?
Do you use a firewall and, if so, what brand is it?
How do you connect to the internet?
What version of Outlook are you using? (This can be found by clicking "Help" in Outlook Express and choosiing "About Microsoft Outlook Express").
Have you updated or changed any of the above recently?

wannabe1

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Do you have, or have you just installed, a spam filter program on your machine?

sweetnky

sweetnky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello Wannabe1
Well I will tell you what I can about my computer but honestly I don't know to much about it. I did click on the help section in outlook express then about and as far as the version goes it said

now there was some numbers down in the little window as well with dll extentions if you need those to determine what version I have please let me know.

As far as the anti virus that I have on here it is

McAfee

I don't know if I have a firewall or not and don't know how to check and see if I do.

I connect to the internet through a cable modem

I have had the computer for about 3 months now and all of this was installed on it when I got it, nothing has changed or been downloaded since I got it as far as I know. Outlook express was working just fine up until about a week ago, that is when everything started coming in marked as bulk.

Hello 1069

I don't know if I have a spam filter or not but if I do it has always been on here and nothing has changed as far as I know.

You all please excuse my igornance when it comes to computers I am a true novice. I do appreciate any help that you can offer.

Thank you all so much for even taking the time to get back to me in this matter.

Jennifer

sweetnky

sweetnky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello

Well let me give you the information you asked for about my computer

As far as my anti virus that I have on here it is

McAfee

I don't know if I have a firewall or not or how to check and see if I do.

I connect to the internet through a cable modeum

As far as the version of Outlook Express that I have, when I went to the help section of OE and clicked on about it said

now there was some other numbers down in the window with dll extentions, i didn't know if you needed them or not but if you do let me know.

I don't know if I have a spam filter or not.

I have had this computer for about 3 months now and nothing on it has been changed or downloaded as far as I know since I got it. Up until about a week ago everything was working fine, that is when all my mail started coming into my inbox as bulk mail and I could no longer recieve messages from a mobile phone.

Please forgive my igornance for not being able to give you more detailed information when it comes to computers I am a true beginner. Any help you can give me would sure be appreciated.

Thank you so much.....Jennifer (sweetnky)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi

Let's see if we can get you a newer version of Outlook and Internet Explorer...they are both included in This Download. Install the IE 6 SP1 and try your e-mail. If you experience the same problem, disable McAffee and try it again...don't surf, though...you'll have no AV protection while the McAfee is disabled.

Are you using your ISP's e-mail or a web-based client such as Yahoo or Hotmail?

wannabe1

sweetnky

sweetnky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Wannabe1,
Let me ask you a question before i go to the new version of outlook express, i have a couple of folders i have saved some messages in that I want to keep and I also have an address book thingy on there when i get the new version will I still have this stuff or will it be gone. I will move it all to a yahoo address if I have to before trying the new version of outlook if that is what I have to do. As far as your question my outlook came with my internet hook up, i do have a web based email but i prefer using my outlook express address.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
All your information should transfer to the new install, but it won't hurt to back up the info anyway. I keep many backups in my Yahoo Briefcase and they have "saved the day" more than once.... :tazz:

I'm really thinking this problem is related to one of two things...it's either a spamblocker as 1069 suggested, or a configuration problem in OE or between OE and another application.

wannabe1

sweetnky

sweetnky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you so much for your help I did update and everything seems to be working fine now. I do appreciate all you help, time and patients with me. You have a wonderful day......Jennifer

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
thanks for telling us that you fixed it...and i applogize again for the problem in your last post

sweetnky

sweetnky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The problem in the last post was no problem at all. I have found that this site and the people on it are very helpful and very courteous, not to mention very patient in dealing with people like my self when it comes to being a novice at computers.