Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick! Whichc DVD discs do I need to buy for a LIght Scribe?

• Please log in to reply

wdwmom

wdwmom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought my husband a HP DVD740VI DVD Writer with LightScribe for Christmas but am getting conflicting reports on the best discs to buy. Do I want double layer? RW? + or - ?

Thanks!

Edited by wdwmom, 17 December 2005 - 09:19 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It depends in part what you want to do with it. The DL discs tends to be expensive and unless you need the space (over around 4.5Gb), then you should save the money and only get the single layer. The RW are re-writable, so you can use them over again instead of writing one time. The question of either "+" or "-" seems to be more complicated, but I have seen that both tend to work. Make sure that you get the correct speed for the burner (or not burn at a speed exceeding what the disc is rated at).

The main thing is to get a quality brand, which is not just a known brand. I have not kept up on who actually makes the discs vs. the name on them, but thoguht I would reply to part of your question.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The + - are different formats of disk you will need to check the instructions or the drive makers site to check which formats it is capable of writing, it should be able to write almost anything. dual layer are expensive and most people dont need it all on one disk so its cheaper to buy two single layers.

RW discs can be written to either 10000 or 1000 times i think its the first, dvd rams if you can get them can be written to a 100 000 times something like that but they are very slow to read and write.

You also need to get the special light scribe discs in order to use lightscribe. You may as well get them as its one of that burners few redeaming qualities for its price.

wdwmom

wdwmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks! After your input and some research on the drive that I have, I found some Verbatim +R 8X Lightscribe discs that have everything important except the double layer. Thanks for all the info, especially about the DL not being important for most jobs.

I was overwhelmed and you helped me cut thru the clutter and find what I needed for the drive that I purchased. Thanks again!