Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new computer wont reasd the hard drive

• Please log in to reply

deadbolt86

deadbolt86

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: i have just started building a new computer but am having dificulty installing the os
The motherboard detects the hard drive at first but when you go to install windows it says that no hard drive has been installed. the motherboard is Skt 939 K8T800PR chipset AGP8x SATA/Raid M/B and the hard drive is Diamondmax10 250GB 7200rpm SATA150 16mb Cache OEM.
can anybody help me

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You need to install sata drivers when prompted to do so, they should have been included with your mobo as floppies or in the cd and you need to make some floppies for them. It will all be in your manual which you should have read all the way through before starting to build.

deadbolt86

deadbolt86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You need to install sata drivers when prompted to do so, they should have been included with your mobo as floppies or in the cd and you need to make some floppies for them. It will all be in your manual which you should have read all the way through before starting to build.

the thing is i dont have a floppy yet. can i just take one from an old pc

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
yup.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
We prefer to keep things on the boards so people can search for the problem.

Right the way you do it is:

1. Ensure an operational Floppy disk drive is in the computer.
2. Ensure a working CD rom is in the computer.
3. Install SATA hard drive, make sure it is secure and has power and is connected to the motherboards onboard SATA controller.
4. Make sure you have all the drivers for the motherboards SATA controller on a floppy disk or disks if there is multiple controllers(if you didnt get pre prepared ones you need to get them off the motherboards driver CD or from the manufacturers website)
5. Put a valid windows installation disk into the CD drive, boot from this, then when it loads it will ask you to press F6 to load additional drivers or something along that line. PRESS F6.
6. Follow the instructions given on screen and load the drivers from the floppy disks.
7. Proceed to the normal windows installation screens by following instructions given. Format the disk to your preferences and install windows as per usual.

And your done, its not that hard. Also lots of resources on the internet about SATA including a million and one tutorials for doing it.

deadbolt86

deadbolt86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well thats what i done , it read the hard disk , affter pressing F6 and done the drivers. then it formated the hard disk. after that i said that itsaid that the floppy or cd was invalid and should try again. so i put the motherboard cd in again got another coppy of the SATA drivers. this time when i went to install the OS before formating it said that a file was corrupted

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Right well i might try downloading the drivers off of the website, also are you using an old floppy, they can get a bit funny when they are old and have been used a while or not used for a long time. Does the floppy drive work ok.

Also is the windows CD a new one, has it any damage. Where did you buy it?

deadbolt86

deadbolt86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well after your second message about the floppy i bought a new drive as well as some new disk's
it put the sata promise drivers on the floppy set the operational mode to ide and then started the xp disk.
the disc was given to me by my dad. there dosent appear to be any scratches. but this only started displaying the corrupted file after it failed to install the first time.

so i should try downloading from asus then

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, you know you are going to have to get a windows liscense for that computer for us to help you with it.

You should have a floppy drive for your computer all the time anyway because when things go wrong you usually need a floppy installed to fix it. Asus would be the best bet if they dont work you know its the windows disk or the hard drive that is faulty.

deadbolt86

deadbolt86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well is there any chance you know what this error means

file ql10wnt.sys cuased unexplained error (4096) at line 3529 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup.c.

this never came up during the first installation but now hapens every time .

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There is something wrong with the driver for the PCI adapter on the XP install disk.

You should try a a new XP disk you really should get one we arent supposed to help you unless you actually have a legal copy of windows which you dont.