Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

file trouble

• Please log in to reply

kinfe

kinfe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am in using siemens processor with xp os. today i have faced a problem in my documents. when i save word and excel files the file takes folder apearance and when i double click to open the file type (i.e doc and exl) it addes to the file name a .exl and .doc extension and also when i check for the property the file type change to application file . so please try to fix this trouble.

thanks!

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
that's normal. You probably have the option to show the file extensions. If you don't want to show it, go to your folder options and check the hide extensions for known file types.

kinfe

kinfe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz:

Dear Numb Remxed,

First of all i would like to thank for ur response. But the problem i specified is not normal. Since word and excel douments change their file type(i.e application type) when i double click and also their apearance is that of directory(yellow folder appearance) instead of word and excel icon.
sincerly,

Abinet A.

Edited by kinfe, 18 December 2005 - 04:29 AM.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
hm.. so you're saying that when you double click on the icons to open them up, they automatically change their file types?

Can you post a screenshot up?

Also, follow my previous directions to find out the file extensions and post that up.

Is the problem only limited to Word and Excel documents?

kinfe

kinfe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz:
Dear Numb Remxed,

Thanks for ur effective advise i have fixed the problem in opening word and excel files by scanning the pc with antivir. But, there is some problem in word and excel documents, i.e their apearance is still a folder like yellow instead of word and excel icon i tried to adjust by opening control panel and folder options but nothing happens. Pleace help me as ur previous deed .

Thanks,
Abinet A.

Please do not include an e-mail address in any post, in order to avoid unwanted contact

Edited by Keith, 25 December 2005 - 07:03 AM.