Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocked

• Please log in to reply

mate

mate

• Pip
  • 8 posts
G'day all,

This is a first for me but I have found in my wanderings that many have been thru the same predicament. I am hoping someone here can help me thru this cos I am out of my league now. Being a n00bie to tweaking and overclocking, I think I am in the midst of a very hard lesson but I won't know until I get some feedback...

I have a Microstar 6309 mobo with VIA VT82C694X/686A Chips. I have just totally reformatted two hard drives and clean installed WIN98SE. I then performed my first ever BIOS flash and that went without a hitch so at that point I was 'on cloud nine' and maybe got a lil' too big for my own boots...

I had everything running smoothly and was extremely proud of what I had managed to learn and implement in the last few days so, whilst reading thru the specs that came with the BIOS flash, I thought I might 'see what this does' and I upped the clock spedd to 133MHZ from 100, rebooted and within a matter of seconds realised that I had #@$#%@ up!!

I now have a totally black screen and I couldnt even turn the comp off from its own on/off switch, so in fear of it overheating I pulled the plug out of the wall...

It's sitting here beside me while I type this message, imitating an ornament until I get some help...

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you can't boot the machine and get into bios to change the clock speed back, then open up the case and remove the bios battery for a minute or so. That will reset the bios back to default setting which hopefully will allow you to boot up. Uhhhh... make sure the AC plug is disconnected before you work inside the computer case.