Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Access Point Location

• Please log in to reply

sns9

sns9

• Pip
  • 5 posts
After checking several posts on 2.4GHz interference (microwave and cordless phones) I would like to know how close is too close?

I've hard-wired my home (4 computers) with CAT5e and now need a wireless access point for a new laptop. Half the time the laptop will be hard-wired as well. The rest of the time it will be moving around the upstairs.

The optimal location is between the kitchen and dining area (vaulted ceilings and good range <30' to the bedrooms.) The problem with this is it will be about 10' from a microwave and cordless phone base (2.4GHz.)

How much interference can I expect from these two appliances? Also, if somone is moving around with a cordless phone, will the signal drop if the phone moves between the laptop and the router? Would I be better off placing two separate access points at opposite ends of the house?

I have hardwood and tiled floors so the access point can't go downstairs.

I'm considering a Linksys WAP54G. Does anyone have any comments (positive or negative) about its performance?

Thanks,
Steve

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The cordless phones will operate on a certain channel between base and handset(s) in the 2.4Ghz region. Usually this is not changable by yourself but you will almost certainly be able to change the channel number used by the wireless router to avoid interference with the cordless phones (although having said that you may not notice any issues until the cordless phone is in use).

As to whether the signal will drop; usually not if they're on different channels, though this will be dependent on atmospheric conditions and the strength of the signal in the first place.

As for the microwave; radiation is a concern BUT again it would depend on how often the micro is used and you wouldn't notice any issues until its in use.

My suggestion would be to keep it away from the Micro if nothing else. If you have issues with the cordless phones when they're in use, change the channel number the wireless broadcasts on and see if it makes a difference. If not, your only options are to either relocate the base or the router.

Edited by Neil Jones, 18 December 2005 - 12:42 PM.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
The channels can be changed on the route in the setup menu, now most makers have a different way to access the setup menu. I suggest that if you are unaware how to change it, contact the maker via their web site.