Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply

PrincessFrost

PrincessFrost

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I just got a second pc and it has Winodws ME on it. It needs to be reformatted, but i was wondering if i could make a back up disk of my other pc (which has windows xp) and load it onto my second computer, so that both computers have Xp.

If I can do this, can someone please tell me exactly what it is I have to do so that it is done correctly. :tazz:

Thanks!

The Princess Frost

Advertisements

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi,

Well, what exactly do you mean by back up the disk? As far as I know, you can't just copy Windows XP on your hard drive to a disk and then use it to install XP. Now, what you can do is, make an image and copy the image of your XP hard drive to the Me one. To do this you will need a program like Norton Ghost which is made by the same people who make Norton Anti-virus. Or you can use, this free program, Clone Maxx Note: I have never used this one so I can't say how well it works or how easy it is to use, but I have heard some good things about it.

Hope that helps. :tazz:

B

PrincessFrost

PrincessFrost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok so these programs copying waht exactly? my entire hard drive, and then copys it to another pc? or just the opertation system?

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
These programs copy the entire hard drive, and then you will have to hook up the XP drive into the Me PC, and have it copy the XP image onto the Me hard drive.

Hope that helps.

B

PrincessFrost

PrincessFrost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok so i copy the hard drive to a floppy.
I open the floppy on the other computer and and need to find the xp image.
where do i find that and how to i load it to the Me?

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Which program are you planning on using?

Might want to check this out.

How to create an image using Norton Ghost

B

Edited by Besttechie, 05 February 2005 - 03:07 PM.

PrincessFrost

PrincessFrost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
i dled that clone maxxxx
i put ina floppy and it copied it to the floppy. I opened the floppy (using run A:\) on the other pc and now im stuck. cause there is 17 files i have no idea what any of em are.

AutoExec
Choice
Cmaxx
Cmaxx
Command
Config.sys
De.str
DOS4GW
Du.str
Fr.str
It.str
Kernel.sys
keyb
sp.str
sys
us.str

im really lost lol

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi,

Like I said I have never used this program. Have you selected a language for it to use?

After the PC has booted, you can start the program by entering cmaxx. You can select the language of PC INSPECTOR™ clone maxx by starting the program with the following parameters:

cmaxx –Language

See if that helps. I'll look for some other programs as well, and some more directions for this one. Maybe some else here has used this program and can assist you futher. I have to go out, and I will be back later. When I get back I will check on this thread. :tazz:

B

PrincessFrost

PrincessFrost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
k.
another program would be awesome. This clonemaxx is really confused me.

I'm just gonna reformat the Me, and leave it, cause it will probably be much quicker anyway. And it will most liekly speed up the pcs performance.

Thanks anyways.

The Princess Frost

PrincessFrost

PrincessFrost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

I'm just gonna reformat the Me, and leave it, cause it will probably be much quicker anyway. And it will most liekly speed up the pcs performance.

View Post

hahaha. Well i found out I cant reformat the me because i need the boot up cd. I dont have it. And i dont even have a boot up cd for the Xp. thats what i meant by back up disc , like the cd that u can reformat with.

oh well... it stays how it is. :tazz:

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi,

What boot up CD do you need? The actual OS CD or a boot disk?

B

Wiggles

Wiggles

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, Princess. I hate to be another one of those crotchety people who says read the manual, but...

Just checking their website, it says pretty quick that you'll get that disk of files you mentioned, and then you type cmaxx.

Anyway, I'm glad you posted this 'cause I'm trying to figure out the same thing after my HD fried - TICKTOC-TICKTOC-TICKTOC (actually more turned into something like that crocodile in Peter Pan - I've tried everything but freezing it).