Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

consumption of... ?

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
does the computer consumes more electricity if it is turned on continously for days or does it consumes more electricity when it is turned on and off daily?

i use comp normally for 6-8 hours a day, and im not sure which way will save me my electricity bill =p

i understand that by turning off the monitor i could save abit of electricity, are there any other alternatives?

also, does the specs of the comp determines how much electricity is used/saved?

tips on electricity saving would be nice, ty

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
It will use more power buy turning on and off the computer. I leave my computer on 24/7/365, but I restart the system when I have been play games (CoD, Doom 3, AO, FFXI). You should change the power settings so that it puts itself in stand by after 1 or 2 hours. Hope that this helps.

Edited by DHooper, 05 February 2005 - 07:56 PM.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
oic... does that mean that by turning on to standby, its different to turning off the monitor?

also, can all comp specs survive 24/7/365? any criterias for that?

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Standby put the computer into a sleep mode, running very little power just enough to hold what ever information that is stored in RAM. I also leave my monitor on, so that it doesnt have to warmup. The only time that my computer is shut down is if there is a thunder/lighting strom, going to be gone for more then a week. If you are in a area that has a lot of lighting storm then remove all the cables for the computer (phone, ethernet, and power) because lighting can hit and travel trough the cords and in to the comuter and fry the motherboard and more. Hope that this helps.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
yeah man, thx alot... hopefully my comp's spec can take a week without turning off... dont wanna wake up in the morning and realised my cpu blew up =p

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I dont think that it will, Im running Intel Pentium 4 2.53GHz(overclocked to 3.0GHz); 768MB DDR-2700; 128MB ATI Radeon 9700 PRO; Sound Blaster Audigy2 Gamer; 80GB 7200RPM. It has been running for almost 2 years nonstop. :tazz:

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
wow lol... actually, is there anything that determines the lifespan of a comp ... say a fan in the cpu... i've one running it in and it looks so sluggish...as if it has slogged for ages already... thats wad worries me from keeping my comp on for 3 days =.=