Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it too far?

• Please log in to reply

Vris

Vris

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I ran a cat5 cord which spans aproximatly 120 feet. I know for sure it is over 100. But I am not geting any responce from the router it is connected to. Is the cord simply too long?

Advertisements

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
You're fine as cable goes... maximum is usually listed as 100 meters. If you find you're getting bad connections or dropped packets, though, you can use a repeater in the line... a cheap hub works nicely for that, usually placed around the 100 feet mark, but your problem isn't cable length rated, so, you need to look elsewhere... fill us in on the nature of the setup and problem, I'm sure we can help.

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Also if you can get a hold on a cable tester, test the cable. It could be that there is a break in the line. It also can be the wrong kind of cable, make sure that you are using a Patch/Stright Cable and not a Crossover or a Consle cable. Even if it is a crossover, most hubs/switches have auto-sences ports. Plug the cable in to a differnet port to rule out a bad port. Hope that this helps.

Vris

Vris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It turns out we just wired the cat5 incorrectly. Though all of your advise was greatly appreciated. Thank you, and live well.