Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Rom Not reading cd's

• Please log in to reply

Summers Girl

Summers Girl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My cd-rom drive is not reading cd's. Does anyone know how I can figure out if it is the drive or something else.
And- if it I need a new cd drive should I pay someone to do it or is this something I can fix myself?

I feel totally comfortable doing it myself- just don't know how. :tazz:

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hi,welcome to Geeks To Go Forums,I will be your help to try fix your problem, well you can start by seeing if the IDE cable is pluged in correctly, you will find this behind of the CD-Rom. Is Windows picking up the Cd-Rom, do you see it in explorer or my computer???

Can you give more information on how this started, did you load any new software or add any new hardware latley???

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 19 December 2005 - 11:44 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
was this a drive that was originally in the machine? or did you install it recently? has it ever worked?

Summers Girl

Summers Girl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
All cables are plugged in and it is showing up on My Computer.
No new software, we used it to play a game and a couple hours later the disk was hot when we took it out (we hadnt been playing that whole time) Then it wouldn't open any cd's.
It is the original drive and we bought the computer about a year ago.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have another computer in the house?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

My cd-rom drive is not reading cd's. Does anyone know how I can figure out if it is the drive or something else.
And- if it I need a new cd drive should I pay someone to do it or is this something I can fix myself?

I feel totally comfortable doing it myself- just don't know how. :tazz:

Others are helping you with trying to figure out if the drive is toast or not, but in answer to your second question, if you are comfortable in opening the case and removing screws, then you can replace it yourself and need not call/pay someone to do it for you.

One issue you need to consider is static. The best thing is to have a static kit, but most people don't have it and if you do then you should know what to do. The next best thing is to use a static strap, which you can get a disposible strap places (I have a static kit, so I I am not up on where to get them now). The next method is to touch the bare metal of the case (not painted), set the drive in the bag on the bare metal case, try to not move around and/or keep in contact with the metal of the case when you are touching the drive.

Typically there are 4 screws holding the drive, but the exact details depend on the case as some use slides. You typically need to open both sides of the case and take the screws out. Also you need to disconnect the power and data cable, being careful to not move other cables and/or ensuring that the other cables are not dislodged. Then take the drive out and match the jumpers from the old drive to the new drive (master/slave/cable select). Then reverse the process and close up the case. You might need to install new drivers, which should come on a CD with the new drive.

Summers Girl

Summers Girl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No other computers in the house.......

If I replace it -- are they a standard size with standard parts or do I need to get one specific for my computer?
Thanks for the instructions Kemasa

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the reason i asked about another computer in the house...is that it would be best to test the drive in another machine before assuming the drive is dead...

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

No other computers in the house.......
If I replace it -- are they a standard size with standard parts or do I need to get one specific for my computer?
Thanks for the instructions Kemasa

In general, the drives are standard. I have seen some that are longer than others, which can be an issue in some bays, but you can't really specify one for your machine, other than going to the maker of your machine and paying a lot more. So, the bottom line is that it is pretty much standard parts. You might want to consider getting a DVD burner. I think I paid something like $50 for a DVD burner and the prices are dropping. If you just need a CD reader, I suspect you could get one free, check out www.freecycle.org for example. I have seen people give computers away in my area.

You are welcome.