Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Backround in XP

• Please log in to reply

NSzentir

NSzentir

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi everyone

I needed to use XP Pro disk to repair the OS. All is working fine, but there was a backround picture that a Spyware put there and I deleted it. Now I want to put a new piccture on it by clicking control pannel>> Display and there is no tab for "Backround" anymore. How can I have the picture back that I had before for the desktop backround?

Regards,

Nick

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
*Deleted* - You are using Windows 2000, and I didn't notice that until after I added the post. I quickly deleted it so you wouldn't screw up your machine using an XP registry fix for a 2000 machine.

Again my apologies.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 19 December 2005 - 02:10 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
One question, but the topic shows you are using XP but yet your Operating System underneath your name shows Win2000 SP4, and also you say you lost the BACKGROUND tab, which is a windows 2000 tab name and not a windows XP name. Which one are you using?

Fenor

NSzentir

NSzentir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The Windows XP is not my computer. It is a frends computer. When he called me about this I was trying to guide him using my computer Win 2000. Aperently XP don't have a backround tab as was suggested so where does XP user setup backroubd? This frend useto be able to change his pictures but now when he clicks on "apply" it doesn't stick. He was attacked by "winhound".

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so your friend (the computer with the problem) is using xp?

NSzentir

NSzentir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yes

NSzentir

NSzentir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

One question, but the topic shows you are using XP but yet your Operating System underneath your name shows Win2000 SP4, and also you say you lost the BACKGROUND tab, which is a windows 2000 tab name and not a windows XP name. Which one are you using?

Fenor

The computer is not mine. I am helping a frend. He was attacked be "Winhound" and other spyware. I used Windows repair option on his disk. The spyware winhound has changed the wallpaper to a wabpage to click on for a spyware remover. I found the page then deleted it. Now the wallpaper is white. This frend use to be able to change his wall paper, but now when he presses "apply" it doesn't stick. Do you know a solution?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah...so you just deleted the winhound wallpaper file?...you haven't gotten rid of winhound

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.