Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File Path

• Please log in to reply

Gemius

Gemius

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I am running W98 second edition.

While rearranging files in My Docs I have ended up with a double ref in the file path. ie My Documents\jim\jim\photos.

While the computer still takes me to the right pages it is annoying me and I would like to get rid of the extra \jim\ Is it possible to edit the path and return it to what I intended which is My Documents\jim\photos?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The path must be correct before windows will access a file. The path My Documents\jim\jim\photos indicates that there is a folder called jim inside a folder called jim. Did you check to see if there are actually two jim folders?

Gemius

Gemius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the quick response.
There's no other file showing.
I used Find to search for other files named jim but only found one. I emptied its contents into a temp folder and tried to delete it but got the following message.
"jim is your documents folder it cannot be deleted. If you wish to delete this folder first choose another folder to be your documents folder"

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did you at any time rename your My Documents folder? If you open Windows Explorer and browse your C: drive, do you see a My Documents folder? Is there anything in there right now... folder or files?

Gemius

Gemius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
It looks as if I've done something like that. In Explorer there is My Docs which breaks down to a folder called "jim".That breaks down to a set of folders one of which is also "jim"

Can I alter these from Explorer? Obviously I've got to be careful I don't lose anything.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

It looks as if I've done something like that. In Explorer there is My Docs which breaks down to a folder called "jim".That breaks down to a set of folders one of which is also "jim"

Ok, just as expected.

Can I alter these from Explorer?

Yes you can move the documents in any folder in explorer... as long as it's not a folder/file in use by the system. In your case, the documents in your jim folders can be moved anywhere.

Obviously I've got to be careful I don't lose anything.

You won't lose any of your documents. What will get lost is any shortcut pointing to those documents if you move them. For instance, any shortcut you have created to a document that now resides in path: C:\My documents\jim\jim will give you and error if there is no second jim folder. The document will be ok, just that the shortcut won't find it.

Gemius

Gemius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks Makai. I altered the path in My Docs, Properties,Target and it's all sorted now.