Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Partition Manager

• Please log in to reply

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I need to enlarge my C: & D: partitions. They're on seperate HDDs. Drive 1: C: & E:, Drive 2: D: & F: I only need to do this once as I just built a new 'puter and didn't give those two partitions enough space. I don't want to reformat and I want my folders and files to remain intact. I tried a demo of Partition Magic, but it would only let me see what it could do and NOT actually do it. Any suggestions? THANKS!!!

Advertisements

howlleo

howlleo

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I'm looking for one too... I want to install Ubuntu, but dont want to erase my windows OS.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You could check out qtparted, which is a program in some versions of Linux, such as Knoppix. It says that it is a partition magic clone. Knoppix can be downloaded and then make a CD, which is bootable. It is also a good tool to deal with problems.

You should backup all the data first, just in case, then defrag and optimize the partition to get all the data together.

I would guess that increasing the size can only be done if there is space available after the partition, which means you would need to remove the next partition. I doubt that it could resize from the start instead of from the end.

howlleo

howlleo

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
...saying that I could download knoppix just for the qtparted thingummy, partition, then clear it out? (presuming I'm going to be die-hard over my new Ubuntu CDs...)

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I just reformatted after all.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

...saying that I could download knoppix just for the qtparted thingummy, partition, then clear it out? (presuming I'm going to be die-hard over my new Ubuntu CDs...)

Not quite. Knoppix runs off of a CD, so there is nothing to clear out. It is a good tool to have, even if you run Windoze, but especially if you run Linux. You could run Knoppix all the time, but I don't do that.

howlleo

howlleo

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
so I could use qparted while running knoppix live? *puzzled* Is qparted like a program _in_ knoppix, or is it a function that is on the CD with Knoppix, but you have to boot off the CD and go into startup instead of opening the OS?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
qtparted is a program and you would need to run after booting Knoppix (from the CD).

Knoppix is an OS and so you need to be running that. Make sure you first do a backup, then defrag the disk. After that you can boot Knoppix from the CD and run qtparted. You will need to run as root, so after it boots, you need to open a window, then type "su" to become root, then type "qtparted" and hit return. The GUI will come up and hopefully you can figure it out from there :-).

howlleo

howlleo

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
uh-huh- just to make sure I've got this right:

I run knoppix live, and from the OS run Qparted.

Qparted is not a program that runs from startup, in other words.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I am not sure of what you mean a program that runs from startup, it is not a windoze program. It is lowercase "qtparted", no uppercase.

Yes, you would boot the Knoppix CD and run the program.

howlleo

howlleo

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I mean, from the BIOS.
It just seems weird to me that an OS can repartition a drive when it's in one of them. Would Knoppix be able to repartition if it was installed?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If its on the live cd it isnt on the drive as such its running from the cd and RAM it doesnt actually use the hard drive unless you access it through it.